On the flip side, my critique group liked the next section of my romantic suspense, Cat's Eyes. I think I've got a pretty solid
foundation at this point.
For my exercise, I missed one day out of the two since Sunday.
For my Christmas goals, we didn't get the decorating done, but we're on our way. I must finish some scrapbook pages immediately, and plan to bake over the weekend.
I completed my blog goals of finishing the book review on Protection for Hire - see it HERE - and finishing my first Vlog - see it HERE! I really do love blogging!
(No, I'm not tackling perfectionism. Unless there's a couch and a doctor with a notepad.)
I've actually got a revision list. I've signed up for an editing accountability group through ACFW and the lady leading it mentioned a check list for revisions. I've never used one, but I do tend to list the changes I make after the fact.
In my first story, passive voice kept me up at nights. I eliminated 3,000 passive verbs. That's a lot of wases! At first happy with the tossing of was and were, I soon became enlightened to could, should, and would. I got away with a few less-used ones, but still tightened many of those as well. After several passes through my manuscript, I wrote down all of the items I checked for and changed. I ended up with 17 revisions. Some of them were easy like changing the name of my town. These are a few of them.
- Exclamation points - eliminate all or most
- Eliminate was and were as often as possible, and always when coupled with an -ing verb following
- Scan for overused words - back, out, started, began, eyes, face, turned, at least (just a few of my precious pets!)
- Vary sentence beginnings and paragraph beginnings
- Check sentences starting with The
- Check sentences starting with pronouns
- Check sentence endings - use strong words
- Reduce it, that, these, those, this
With my current revision, I'm using my list above. Once I pass through my chapters for these topics, I've come up with a few new, harder topics to deal with.
- Flow of scene - does the tension amp up and fade? (Ebb and flow, but I don't live on the coast.)
- Cliff hanger - do I offer bookmark pages, or does the action keep pulling readers back inside?
- Heroine - Have I gotten deep enough into her psyche to allow readers to feel what she's feeling?
- Hero - Have I been faithful to a male POV. Does my character ring true?
- Are my characters consistent? If not, is there a good reason for the inconsistency?
- Avoiding minutia - I'm a detail person, but stating the number of steps someone took or defining the exact shade of blue on a table cloth doesn't make for very interesting reading.
- Showing vs. Telling - for me, this is an intentional trip through my chapters, analyzing a sentence at a time to evaluate whether it works. Have I crawled into POV deeply enough?
- Head-hopping and author intrusion need to go on this list, though I don't often have to deal with those issues.
What are the pet problems you have to look out for in your writing?
Wow, you are on it! I like to do a find/replace as my characters seem to smile, smiled, grinned, smirked ALOT! ha!
ReplyDeleteAlso, shrugging. I'm giggling right now, but hey, I didn't use "smile" or "grin". :)
Marji, those are great checklists. I've added the post to Evernote so I can refer to it when I'm in the middle of revisions or self-edits.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your vlog post and hope you plan to do more of them.
Your list is very astute. That's such a valuable skill you have, Marji. Thanks for sharing it with some of us not-so-on-point writers :-)
ReplyDeleteMy thing I have to watch out for with editing is the overuse of pronouns "he" and "she". I guess I get so caught up in the story that I sometimes forget to list the characters' names, lol.
I have to credit my critique groups. I can't get anything past those gals! It's funny that as I read my chapters out loud to myself, I can hear their voices in my head!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Keli! I'm actually thinking of doing another one. I think it will be Tuesday week. Will definitely start earlier on it! :)
Good list Marji. I have added Visual Thesaurus and they have vocabgrabber and it will list every word and how many times used. Good tool to weed out overused words.
ReplyDeleteOh, that's why you're so good at picking them out! I need that! I found backs all over the place in my revising today!
ReplyDeleteGreat checklists!
ReplyDeleteI'm often guilty of writing out all the times my characters sit, stand, walk across rooms, open doors, close doors . . and I'm still convincing myself readers will *know* a character walked across a room and opened a door if that character left! lol
CM, My crit group pegged me for a director with my first writing because everyone "crossed." I confess, I see all of the details and I have to control how many of them I actually write about.
ReplyDeleteWow this could be very useful in my next essays. I think that I still overuse words like the main topic in the paragraph.
ReplyDeleteYonnic
This will help a lot. I need to vary sentence structure and eliminate passive words more.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info! I need to look out for adding too much detail and too many passive verbs in my essays.
ReplyDelete