I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Do You Need Protection?

Perhaps you can hire new body guard, Tessa Lancaster. After years of working as a strong arm for her uncle, a leader of the Japanese mafia, she's become an expert in reading people, as well as several forms of martial arts.

Camy Tang has created a great new character for book one of her new series. Tessa is downright scary in the prologue, and though I committed to reading the book, I didn't identify with her at all. That is, until I reached the first page of Chapter One, where she led a game of
Simon Says for a group of children at a battered wives' safe house. You can bet I liked her from then–on. Tough and smart, she is also compassionate, but troubled.


Protection for Hire has a twisted plot set in the shadowy underworld of the San Francisco mafia. As I read, I felt over and over again the helplessness of the case. There was no safety. No way out. The tension with the entire situation never gave release. Just as answers showed up on the radar, new problems cancelled them out. The energy stayed amped, but avoided frustration. Ms. Tang also avoided bookmark spots; I couldn't put the story down!

While Tessa's journey provided the impetus of the story, other characters brought charm to a new level. I really liked Charles, but his mother and her friend were downright delightful and not just because they were from the South. Or maybe it was! Either way, I could totally identify with them!

Protection for Hire is full of humor and shares a powerful message of grace and trust. The story moves the reader as well as entertains. I give it 4 1/2 kisses.

Be advised, though, that my precious redhead won't read this one due to a steamy description of an observed rendezvous. It also has one curse word from the hero.

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Also out now is her Asian chick lit Sushi series (Sushi for One, Only Uni, and Single Sashimi) and her romantic suspense novels (Deadly Intent and Formula for Danger).

She used to be a biologist, but now she is a staff worker for her church youth group and leads a worship team for Sunday service. 

On her blog, she ponders knitting, spinning wool, dogs, running, the Never Ending Diet, and other frivolous things. Visit her website at http://www.camytang.com/ to join her quarterly newsletter.





I love reading books over the weekend, especially in cold, rainy weather. So what did you do this weekend?




(I received Protection for Hire as an advanced reader copy from the publisher in return for an honest review.)

7 comments:

  1. EWWW! What a lousy way to spend the weekend! Hope your week is TONS better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool heroine! I love to read about capable women who can defend themselves if need be!

    This weekend, I worked on writing, went to church, and chatted with hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the review, Marji! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love it Kim! Was awesome!

    You're so welcome, Camy. Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. I'm always looking for high-action Mafia-type books to help me improve my own ventures into that field, and I absolutely love the cover of this one. Yet another one for the TBR list! Thanks for sharing, Marji!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...