I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Traditions with a New Blog Hop

The A2Z Meme (Blog Hop) that I've been participating in for the last couple of months has officially ended. Yep, we got to Z last Tuesday! I wish I could say I did every letter, but I didn't happen on the Hop until around  F, I think. Still, it was fun to have a set posting each week and a challenge to work out one that worked with the letter and was appropriate to my week and journey.

So for the holidays, we are continuing, just with a different theme. This is now a
holiday hop! And you better believe I'm participating. The first is about Thanksgiving traditions.

My family meets at Bubba's house out in the East Texas town of Commerce. Love that town and it's been an inspiration for the settings of my novels. The food varies little from year to year, and we always watch the Cowboy game - and often groan over it. We have a tradition of singing the Doxology together. Love to sing with my family. Tight harmonies and perfect blend.


But every year holds a different little gem.

One year, I gave out rocks to everyone with a virtue on it, special for each of them. Another year, we took a few minutes and wrote out our list of things we were thankful for, beyond the obvious things.

During extremely warm holidays, the kids hike in the woods. We often take walks during half-time, acting like kids doing the monkey walk down the street. Oh and then there was last year ... wait. That story is way too long! It deserves its own post - next Tuesday!

A couple of years ago, it was priceless when one of my family members got out a "wand" that she swore would heal pain. Probably had something to do with magnetic force, but we laughed our heads off when one of Bubba's neighbors came in while the wand action was being exhibited on my son's hip. The neighbor's eyebrows lifted two levels.

My family members are known for their ability to laugh at themselves.

I guess that's one tradition we always have. Around the dinner table we can always count on a good belly ache from too much great food and too much laughter.

Oh and sweet hubby can count on a nap when the turkey kicks in, usually around halftime!

Here's what's usually laid out on our spread. What parts of my table do you include in yours? Do ya'll serve something unique? Share about it in the comments section!

13 comments:

  1. A family that sings in tight harmonies and perfect blend and with the ability to laugh at themselves--my kind of family! Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving, I'm sure it will be filled with fun and lots of love! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't cook, and it's just my mom and me so we go to a local buffet. There I can get everything that's on your list! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the Thanksgivings we had when my grandparents were alive. But life changes and so do traditions. Now, we sometimes drive up to our Aunts house in Oklahoma. (No, I do not like singing that song!) And other times, like this year, we stay home and make tamales for Christmas gifts. It's fun.

    I like this idea, Marji and think I'll join in next week. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful family gathering.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rita. Loving Patty's meme! Can't wait to share next weeks post.

    Thanks for stopping by, ya'll! Jackie I'm so glad you're gonna join! See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Thanksgiving side dish vary from year to year, but we always have turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and...banana pudding! I usually make the banana pudding ;-)

    Love the story about the wand, and the neighbors eyebrows raising two levels! LOL! Your family sounds fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get to Heaven where I'll actually be able to join in such a 'tight harmony'. sigh. We sound like a tight fright. Seriously. LoL.

    Love the family-ness of Thanksgiving!!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Gwendolyn, That still makes me laugh until I hurt. The guys face was priceless. My sisnlaw said, "This isn't exactly normal." He sat down and smiled. Responded, "Oh you don't normally do things like this?" I think he was relieved, but I commented. "Oh no. We do things LIKE this all the time. THIS one is just new." He didn't stay very long! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me, too, Patty! Love the family time. The one day we won't usually have other responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family does not sing in tight harmony. Which is really really sad. However, we can laugh at ourselves which is a good thing, considering how bad we sing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We karaoke and rock band together.

    Every year I make my mom's special stuffing...made the old fashion way, with the real turkey soup made from the giblets and neck. We all get together and chop onions and celery. We end up crying over the onions. It's a great time.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Marji!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your traditions sound like such fun! Family is so important, especially these days when they live farther and farther apart. Have a great Thanksgiving, Marji!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Valerie! Loree, somehow I can picture you with karaoke and guitar hero! I agree, Brandi. So blessed that my family are all within hours of us.

    Blessings on you, ladies, for an amazing Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...