I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Interview with Erica Vetsch

Yes, Erica's favorite color is red.
I'm so blessed to have Erica Vetsch visiting with me! In case you missed my article last week where I trumpeted the wonder of her new book, A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas, you can find it HERE.

Erica's book is also firmly ensconced on my Reading Recommendations page. Five chocolate kisses worth!

So when I suggested this interview with her, I was as impatient as a three-year-old. (I didn't have terrible twos at my house!) I didn't give her a whole mess of questions, but I just had to know what inspired her to create this amazing story. I confess, I suspected it was Bat Masterson, but I was totally wrong. She had
found an old picture of a man and his horse–a rather hysterical picture, I should think, especially after reading chapter one. Once you've read it, you'll get the full meaning. Yes, that picture! Ha! And as far as Bat Masterson goes, I'll let her tell you that in her own words. I had originally wanted to include Wyatt Earp in the story, but as I did my research, I learned that Bat was actually more prominent in Dodge than Wyatt was, and he fit my story needs so much better.

Country music singer, Easton Corbin as Miles
Beyond the old pictures that you sifted through, what type of preparation did you do before you actually started writing this book, or did the story come to you as you went along? Oh, I'm a dedicated plotter, so the pictures were only the beginning of the process for me. I read biographies of Bat Masterson, histories of Dodge City, books and websites about the history of photography. Then I plotted out the story on my plot board. When I had written about 90% of the story, I went through the whole thing again, because there was a plot point that was sticking and bothering me. After talking out the plot with my daughter, I was able to resolve the sticky bit and finish the story.


Actress, Emma Watson as Addie
If they made a movie of this story (Oh I HOPE they do!) who do you see playing Addie and Miles? Fran and Jonas? (I'll download pics of the pairs.) Ooo! For Miles, the country music singer Easton Corbin was the template. So many folks have commented that the model on the cover looks a lot like Alyssa Milano, and I wouldn't argue with that, though someone said Emma Watson might be a good choice. For Fran Amy Adams, and for Jonas Dylan Bruno. 
Actress, Amy Adams as Fran
What was your favorite part of the story, or maybe, where was the writing the easiest because your vision was so clear? Often the major plot points stand out clearly for me and the writing flows the easiest. Those are the places in the story that I've held in my mind the longest, the pivot points around which the rest of the story hinges, and I often anticipate for days getting to one of those scenes. Those are happy writing days.


Actor, Dylan Bruno as Jonas
What does your workday include? Do you wait until your school day is over or stick in writing whenever you have time? My workday is usually divided into thirds. 1/3 of the time spent homeschooling, 1/3 on the bookkeeping for the family lumber business, and 1/3 on writing/marketing. Of course, this is the idea. What actually happens is at the mercy of unexpected schedule changes, basketball practice/games, appointments, crises, etc.

Has being published changed you? (Schedules, pressures, recognition, expectations) The biggest change has involved my work habits. I was a very linear writer. One project at a time, from initial story idea, plotting, rough draft, edit, polish, submit. Now, while marketing a new release, I'm working on publisher's edits or galley proofs, a new WIP, marketing/publicity ideas for an upcoming title, and a new proposal. I've had to learn to jump into and out of projects whenever the need arises.
Okay, a goofy set. Which do you prefer:

  • Socks with house shoes or just house shoes? Socks with house shoes, or even just socks. 
  • Hot chocolate or apple cider? Oooo, hard to choose, but I do love chocolate.
  • Football or Baseball? I love all sports. I'm all excited now because NCAA Basketball season has now begun, and I can root for my beloved Jayhawks again.
  • Favorite fast food? The cheeseburger kids meal from Culvers. With the flavor of the day frozen custard dessert.

  • ERICA VETSCH is married to Peter and keeps the company books for the family lumber business. A home-school mom to Heather and James, Erica loves history, romance, and storytelling. Her ideal vacation is taking her family to out-of-the-way history museums and chatting to curators about local history. She has a Bachelor’s degree from Calvary Bible College in Secondary Education: Social Studies. You can find her on the web at www.onthewritepath.blogspot.com

    Her new book can be purchased at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Christian Book Distributors.

    Thanks so much to Erica for sharing her time to answer all of my questions. 

    It's your turn: If you had the opportunity to ask your favorite author something, what would it be? What if the tables were turned? What question would you want to be asked if you were the author?

    5 comments:

    1. Great interview, ladies! Erica I love the kids meal from BYB but I add bacon to it, because everyone knows bacon makes everything taste better!

      I always want to know what a day in the life looks like for my favorite authors and how they write. Plotter/pantser (but that's from the writer in me not the reader lol)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for sharing with us, Erica! Glad to learn more about you. And thanks for the interview, Marji :-)

      I want to know how my favorite authors form their characters. Are they all pictured in their heads, or do they comb through magazines and find visuals for the characters appearances?

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great interview, ladies.

      I'm looking forward to reading your book, Erica.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for visiting! Great questions, Brandi and Jessica. I'll have to log them for future interviews!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Jessica, no argument from me. Bacon = Meat Candy. :)

      Brandi, I love to hear about characterization too, since I'm a plot first novelist. I'm always looking for help with creating characters.

      Loree, I hope you enjoy the story!

      ReplyDelete

    Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

    Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...