I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weekend-ispiration: His Strength is Perfect

“His strength is perfect when our strength is gone. He’ll carry us when we can’t carry on. Raised in His power the weak become strong.”

Last weekend, I told you about my daughter and her singing tour with a group from Dallas Christian College. She had a humbling experience that had nothing to do with her singing, but everything to do with her spiritual condition. My precious redhead had been consumed with the performance when she met a foreign missionary who had returned to the states with cancer. He was, in her words, spending some of the last moments of his life encouraging the next generation.

Spotlighting - too light
Spotlighting - too dark!
A story worth retelling. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Anyway, what I didn’t tell you was the verse I texted to her. Both to encourage her in her brokenness and to heal her pain about the man she had met. I sent her 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I don’t know why that verse popped into my head for that situation, but it helped her.
Spotlighting - too red, sure doesn't need that!


It helped her even more this week. We have been in Cincinnati, Ohio for the National Bible Bowl Competition. (No, it has nothing to do with bowling.) This year the students (6th-12th graders) studied the book of Genesis, quoting much of it. Yes, I’m serious. Yes, it’s amazing!

Anyway, my precious redhead was on a team with three of her best buds. After the first day of the Round Robin, (where they “seed” the teams for the double elimination round) my PR came up to me. “Mom, can you feel my head.” *Sigh*

As a teacher, I developed a touch. I could tell the difference between hot and feverish easily. But my PR is never sick. Really. Her request alarmed me. The temp on her forehead upset me more, though. Through the rest of the three-day tournament, she struggled with this fever. It never went very high, and we battled it with Ibuprofen and DayQuil, but we didn’t totally win the war until after the competition ended.

As they continued to play harder and harder teams, I saw the weariness growing on her face. I could see the stress spreading to her buds, too. I went up to their platform before the match started and reminded her, “His strength is made perfect in your weakness.” Then I added, “And Baby, you are so weak!”

At least I made her laugh. And they won that game. It was their last win, but they came close to meeting their goals and were satisfied with the week.

But I reflect on that verse. When do people reach out to God? When they’re broken, right? And in Philippians, Paul tells us that the attitude that Christ had, that we need to imitate, includes how He “emptied Himself and became obedient.” Is it any wonder that elevates us in our weakness, that our humility gives Him glory?

May He be glorified!

When have you seen His power build as your own diminished?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I've seen His power build...in my weakness. Loved the story.

    Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Loree! Also loved your blog today. Really missed visiting blogs this week. Looking forward to enjoying them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words and testimony! We don't like to be weak, or admit it, but what joy to find out we don't stand alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia,
    I just love the way you look at things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marji. I came to check your blog, after reading your reply today to my comment on Rachelle Gardner's blog. Your blog is impressive, and good luck in your Christian Romance Suspense novels. Best wishes from canada to you and your family. Giora
    P.S. and if you wonder for the origin or my name (you probably never heard it before), it's from the same country where Jesus was born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Giora! Being gone for a week left me in internet withdrawal, but I'm loving visiting some of the blogs I've missed. Rachelle Gardner always hits me right where I am!

    Blessings to you as well with your Contemporary Women's novel!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...