I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Review - Songbird Under a German Moon

I'm really not a historical fiction reader. Really. Not. And yet, there's just something that keeps drawing me to them. Maybe I'm a closet historical fiction lover. (Or would that be a wardrobe historical fiction lover?) Either way, another one has captured my heart!

Tricia Goyer's book Songbird Under a German Moon not only delighted me with it's spunky characters of the 1940s, but the story intrigued me with a pressing mystery that kept me guessing. Set in a small German town with a rich heritage, the story surrounds a USO group performing for the area soldiers.

Betty Lake is a new singer on the tour. Dubbed "Songbird" by the manager, she's a showstopper that threatens the standing of the "real star" of the group. Being assigned to share a room with the woman
who considers herself so high above the others, Betty earns her trust, and then voices her doubt when the star ends up dead of an apparent suicide.

Frank Witt also questions the demise of the actress. Having received threats against the singers and their performance hall, Frank poses as an everyday army photographer. His real job requires him to get to the bottom of the mysterious letters and, happily, keep a close eye on Songbird and the other girls.

Ms. Goyer weaves together a scintillating tale combining spiritual truths with twisted convictions that threaten the budding relationship between Betty and Frank and the lives of thousands. It gave such satisfaction on my road trip up and back to Oklahoma. I finished it just a couple of hours into the return trip, really bummed to be done! Oh but what a great read!


Author Biography from TriciaGoyer.com:
Tricia Goyer is the author of thirty books including Songbird Under a German Moon, The Swiss Courier, and the mommy memoir, Blue Like Play Dough. She won Historical Novel of the Year in 2005 and 2006 from ACFW, and was honored with the Writer of the Year award from Mt. Hermon Writer's Conference in 2003. Tricia's book Life Interrupted was a finalist for the Gold Medallion in 2005. In addition to her novels, Tricia writes non-fiction books and magazine articles for publications like MomSense and Thriving Family. Tricia is a regular speaker at conventions and conferences, and has been a workshop presenter at the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) International Conventions. She and her family make their home in Little Rock, Arkansas where they are part of the ministry of FamilyLife.

5 comments:

  1. The books sounds good. I just love the cover with the full moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. World War II settings are really catching on in Christian fiction. I look forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cover, 1940s, interesting plot....Ohhhhh, I am so going to have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and would recommend everyone read.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...