If A is for Appetite, B is for Balance.
The Bible speaks about appetite. In Philippians, Paul writes that those who live as enemies of Christ are led by their
bellies. "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their
glory is in
their shame. Their mind is on earthly things." (Philippians 3:19) The first time I read that, it struck me. I'd thought there were several motivations for sin: envy, greed, hatred. But as I reflected on the stimuli, I realized that all of them initiated from core self-centeredness. I think that’s what this verse is speaking of.
Think about it. You want what you want. If you're a Believer, you know that just because you want something doesn't mean it's the best thing for you. Paul said in 1Corinthians 10:23, "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is Beneficial." But those who are enemies of Christ won't have the same constraints, not having the Spirit to whisper His wisdom. So they are truly led by whatever their gut tells them. Greed is their central force and is colored according to its depth and circumstances.
But that's not the only section that speaks about the stomach. Proverbs 25:16 expands the topic of not everything being beneficial. "If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it." This is the very Balance of which I speak today!
bellies. "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their
glory is in
their shame. Their mind is on earthly things." (Philippians 3:19) The first time I read that, it struck me. I'd thought there were several motivations for sin: envy, greed, hatred. But as I reflected on the stimuli, I realized that all of them initiated from core self-centeredness. I think that’s what this verse is speaking of.
Think about it. You want what you want. If you're a Believer, you know that just because you want something doesn't mean it's the best thing for you. Paul said in 1Corinthians 10:23, "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is Beneficial." But those who are enemies of Christ won't have the same constraints, not having the Spirit to whisper His wisdom. So they are truly led by whatever their gut tells them. Greed is their central force and is colored according to its depth and circumstances.
But that's not the only section that speaks about the stomach. Proverbs 25:16 expands the topic of not everything being beneficial. "If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it." This is the very Balance of which I speak today!
So I’m going on a diet. Not so much a food diet, although that’s part
of it. It’s more of an indulgence diet. Too much honey can make me sick. That’s true with too
much of almost anything. And that’s where indulgences come in.
I mentioned it in one of my Journey updates. Balance means I’m satisfying my appetite but not making myself
sick. That goes for writing, playing games with my family, interacting online.
Yes, and I'm sitting here eating a serving of French fries as I write this. Okay, the real diet starts TOMORROW!
So in what areas do you need some balance right now?
Great points! Sugar is one of the things I often over-indulge in. I use the excuse that I'm allergic to so much else and have a high metabolism, but that doesn't mean it's good for me.
ReplyDeleteBTW, you mentioned on Patty's blog that you're reading Robin Parrish's trilogy. What do you think of it so far? I found it incredibly fascinating but couldn't quite decide what I thought of it beyond that.
Right now I'm just intrigued. I just picked it up because it looked interesting, but I was drawn in by paragraph three. I think I'm going to like it, but it's hard to tell what's going on at this point. He calls it an allegory. It certainly leans toward fantasy - not usually what I read, but this is more in line with Frank Peretti.
DeleteThis is a thought-provoking post. My life is definitively unbalanced with work weighing me down. Working to make changes.
ReplyDeleteBalance is sooooo hard to achieve and something I struggle with constantly. Thanks for this, Marji!
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Balance is so difficult. I'm sure that's why the Father gave us instruction about it. It's so easy to choose what we're comfortable with. Whether it's food or work or even particular friends. I think of it like trying to keep my kids well-rounded. They'd be happy playing on their computer all day long, but outside play, chores, schoolwork, and social activities all have their places. I haven't arrived, though! Hence the chosen topic. I still struggle with burning out because I spend too much time and effort in one area.
ReplyDeleteHa! It's January 17th and I've been balanced for almost 24 hours. :) Yep, that's how it goes for me--one day at a time.
ReplyDeleteDiana
www.pencildancer.com
Oh, I so get that! Can't claim it (only about 11 hours for me!) but I get it!
DeleteGreat post! I think finding balance is not only difficult, it's also one of those things that requires constant monitoring and adjustment. It's not a one-time thing, but a lifetime...well, balancing act! :-)
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, Shelley. It takes effort to keep things in sync, but it's well-worth it!
DeleteI started backwards with my reading. Started with "C" and am now on "B". This was a great post. Made a lot of sense. Balance and I aren't always on the same page, sometimes not even the same book. Gotta work on it.
ReplyDelete