I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Top 10 Christmas Party Tips

Patricia "Pacjac" Carroll and Betty Woods
I LOVE Christmas. And there is no better excuse than this amazing season to get together with friends for laughter, gifts, fun, and food. This year proves my point in the extreme! Just my family alone has 12 parties to attend in only three weeks. That's crazy.

But oh so fun!

I got to spend part of Saturday with the DFW Ready Writers, the Dallas chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers, some of my favorite people! I've learned so much from these folks, and Saturday was no exception. Here are some pointers for great Christmas parties.

10. Break out the "ugly" Christmas shirts. I actually heard, a week ago, that ugly Christmas shirts were back in style this year. That's great. Course I had no idea they'd been out of style. If it's December, I'm in Christmas shirts. Just sayin'.

9. Start playing Christmas music after Halloween. Or you can do like Precious Redhead and shuffle Christmas songs in with the others all year long! Either way, you'll know all the words to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by the time your first party rolls around!

8. Play a goofy game. Now this is an ice-breaker often missed, but nothing starts up laughter like a silly game. You know the kind. Name tags of Christmas songs or icons pinned to everyone's back. They have to ask questions to find out who they are. Or an unabridged list of carols for folks to identify. Everybody loves playing those games. No? Really?

7. Bring a baked something to the party - every diet goes right out the window during December anyway, so make the most of it! Oh, and chocolate is always a good choice!

Janice Olson and Beth Shriver
6. Be ready to laugh a lot. Uninhibited joy just goes with the season.

5. Keep Advil and Tums handy. You will probably need them from they belly/head ache you'll get from too much chocolate/laughter.

4. Hold a gift exchange. The rules are simple. Everyone comes with a gift of roughly the same value. Each person (through number order or drawn names) either chooses a gift from the pile or steals a gift that someone else has opened. Make sure you have a limit for your stealing or you could be there all night! (Been there!)

Jane Thornton and Lynn Gentry
3. Have extra gifts on hand. (Goes with number 4.) Plan ahead for your gift exchange. Agree on an estimated value. Figure out what type of gifts to include. Do you want nice, purchased items or the white elephant type that no one will want? My in-laws used to go to a party where the same gifts showed up each year, just creatively decorated and wrapped differently. (One reoccurring gift was a toilet seat. One year it came with rhinestones glued all over it. Ha!)

2. Don't steal from someone you want to keep as a friend. (Also goes with number 4.) I'm a brat when it comes to gift exchanges so I always ignore this rule. Never have a problem with pouty faces, and I don't listen to the sob stories of why I should let the gift go. I even stole a book from a new friend at the party on Saturday. By the January meeting, she'll surely have forgotten, right? That wouldn't work so well for a neighbor or spouse, though.

1. Have your party AFTER Christmas! The weeks before Christmas are so crazy-full, and that last week in December is lay-around-the-house-and-play-with-your-new-toys time. Take advantage of sales on candy, music, gifts, and decorations! Have your guests bring a gift they don't want to keep for your gift exchange! And by spreading the festivities around a little, you won't get partied out!

But whatever you do, take every opportunity to share yourself during this season. Make memories for yourself and for others. Avoid perfection and settle for fun. Few will remember the food, and less will remember the decor or which sweater you wore, but all will remember good times.

What party tips would your top 10 include???

Be Blessed!

15 comments:

  1. Fun party tips, Marji! Um...I remember sweaters, if they're funky! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome party tips. I love the goofy Christmas ties and sweaters.

    My friends and I do a cookie exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookie exchanges are fun. My twins actually did a candy exchange at one of their parties! That seems a great idea, especially for teens and tweens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like #7. Chocolate!!!

    Interesting about the ugly Christmas sweaters trend. I've seen a lot of those lately. Now I know why :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ugly sweater idea!! Who didn't feel like their parents made them wear one as a child? LOL

    I like to bake at Christmas and take treats over to our friends, but the idea of a white-elephant gift exchange is always fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When a bunch of writers get together, something to write about ALWAYS happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany, found out I'm one of those moms. Precious Redhead informed me that she only wears the ones I get for her when we're doing photo ops.

    But I thought she liked puppies in Santa hats???

    Yes, Lynne! Thanks for the blog fodder! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cookie exchanges are always on my favorite Christmas list!
    Great tips to make the season bright!
    Yep, the ugly sweaters are out in full swing--I have a collection and I loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marj... I think it depends on who you stole that book from. Some have memories like an elephant. lol.

    I love the tacky Christmas sweaters parties. Everyone has to wear their most outlandish Christmas garb. That can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you party tips.
    I had heard that about Christmas sweaters too, even saw a news segment on how to make your own.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess I've been out of fashion for the last 20 years, but December is, well, December! What else would I wear to be functional and festive?

    Oh, and I'm hoping my victim will have a short memory, Jackie, cause we had a lot of fun! She took my pancake mix away from me so I'm thinking we're good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've done a few cookie exchanges over the years, too, and always had a lot of fun. They also provided several more MUST HAVE cookie recipes--like I needed the excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. It could be offensive to a lot of people to call their Christmas sweaters, etc., ugly. I've found it best not to use that kind of language about someone else's clothing choices. Our choices are what make our individuality. And God did give us the gift of free will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're not just whistling Dixie, Lena! Precious Redhead was invited to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party. You better believed I noted what she wore on the way out. (She promised it was just because it fit the best, but I wondered!)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...