I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Karen Baney - Interview

I've gotten involved with a group of Christian authors at a Facebook site called Grace and Faith Authors. They're also on Twitter. It's been such a joy to interact with these gals and guys. I've learned about their books and their journeys, and I've tweeted about several of the new releases. 

One of the founders of the group, Karen Baney, is my guest today and her new book, Nickels, comes out next week! As with most of the authors I interview, I'm intrigued about their motivation, to write in general and how their current book came into being.
Marji: What inspired you to become a writer?
Karen: In early 2010, I went through some tough health issues.  Through that process, I re-learned to depend on God.  It was then that I asked Him one simple question:  I know you haven’t called me to be a mom, so what have you called me to do?
His answer?  Write.
I took him seriously.  Within a month, I had the first draft of A Dream Unfolding.  Then I spent the next nine months figuring out the whole self-publishing thing and I worked very hard on studying the craft of writing.  That first novel went through many edits, rewrites, and reviews, but finally launched in late Dec. 2010.  Since then, I’ve released two more novels in the Prescott Pioneers Series and my contemporary romance, Nickels, is releasing Dec. 13th.
Marji: Oh! My 25th anniversary is December 13th. GREAT day for contemporary romance! Woohoo! What is your ultimate goal for writing in general?
Karen: Simply, I want to honor God with my writing.  I want to write the stories he puts on my heart and then let him use those words for His glory.
Marji: How does Nickels satisfy that goal?
Kyle Jacobs
Karen: One of the central themes of Nickels is life change.  When God works on our hearts we become a new creation, leaving behind the old.  This change is most dramatically witnessed in Kyle Jacobs’s character – a man who shirked responsibility at every turn.  In the timeline a few months before the book starts, he becomes a Christian.  Throughout the story we see how he begins to live out his new faith and we see the immense impact is has on Niki Turner.
Marji: What inspired this particular story?
Karen: A lot of this story was inspired by my own life and by my career as a software engineer.  Niki Turner is a go-getter software engineer (aka programmer) whose career is soaring.  Many of the trials she faces in her career were inspired by some of the challenges I’ve faced over the last nine years. 
I also included a few funny scenes to help readers understand that programmers have a great sense of humor.  There’s a camaraderie among us that often doesn’t get portrayed, yet it’s one of the things I love most about the teams I’ve worked on.
The parts of the story about the military loosely tie into my background.  I spent two years abroad in Germany on a military base.  It was such an adjustment to get used to the military life, much less living in a foreign country.  That’s an experience that changed my life forever.  Niki’s life is more dramatically impacted by this than mine was.
Marji: What are the main themes in Nickels?
Niki Turner
Karen: Besides the theme of life change, there is also a strong theme about the power of friendship.  Niki’s roommate, Marcy, has been her best friend for twelve years (since high school).  They even went to the same college together.
When Marcy starts pressuring Niki to date, her motives are good intentioned.  She just wants Niki to be happy and move past her grief. 
Throughout the book there are many examples of strong, supportive friendships.  Both Kyle and Niki make new friends who surround each of them in times of crisis.  One scene has Kyle’s friends showing up at his doorstep to help him when he is in great physical pain and can’t manage going up and down the stairs in his townhome.  They decided to move his bed to the den on the first floor so he can get the rest he needs.  This scene was inspired by many of the great people I’ve called friends over the years.
Marji: What's a lasting line from your novel - like the "Frankly, dear ..." from Gone with the Wind, or "You had me at hello," from Jerry Maguire? 
Karen: It might not be as classy as Rhett’s line, but here you go:
“Is the circus in town? (Why?) Because that code looks like someone’s drunk monkey wrote it.”
“As a software engineer, she had but two arch nemeses: bean counters and sales people.” 
Marji: Ha! Sweet Hubby's a bean counter! Yes, the engineers run the other way when they see him coming!
Karen: Okay, so that gives you a good idea about the humor in the book.  You’ll just have to read it to get all the sweet moments.  Mawahaha.
Marji: How does writing fit into your regular day-in-the-life?
Karen: This can sometimes be a struggle, especially since I have another full time career.  Writing (and marketing) get squeezed into evenings and weekends.  My TV feels neglected and sadly, sometimes my hubby and dogs do too.  But, they are pretty good at letting me know when it’s time for a break or time to emerge from the cave.
Marji: I so appreciate you taking the time to give us insight into your world!
Karen: Thanks so much for hosting me, Marji!

Here's more about Nickels:
Niki Turner has finally arrived.  Her career as a Software Engineer is soaring—she has just been offered the company’s most sought after account, Helitronics.  Life would be perfect, if she could stop her roommate from playing matchmaker.
Then Kyle Jacobs mysteriously re-enters her life.  As painful memories resurface, his presence turns her life upside down and threatens to waylay her career.  She must find a way to work with him—after all, he’s the helicopter flight consultant for the new flight control system she’s coding.
Can she forget the past and see him as the new man he has become?  Or will her resentment keep her from finding what she has always been searching for?


Join Karen and 9 other Christian authors as they celebrate the release of her contemporary romance, Nickels.  


Bio:
KarenBaney, in addition to writing Christian historical fiction and contemporary novels, works as a Software Engineer. When she’s not busy writing, she enjoys traveling the state of Arizona with her husband, exploring museums and the picturesque landscapes the state has to offer.
Her faith plays an important role both in her life and in her writing.  Karen and her husband make their home in Gilbert, Arizona, with their two dogs.  She also holds a Masters of Business Administration from Arizona State University.
You can find Karen:



3 comments:

  1. Such a great interview! I made sure to swing over to the FB page and "like" it! I love the line about the drunk monkey! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marji - thanks so much for hosting me today and giving me a chance to share why this book is so special to me.

    Jessica - I'm glad you liked that line. Us programmers, we have some weird connection to monkeys (there's a song called the Code Monkey Song) so I had to work that into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so welcome, Karen! I enjoyed getting to know you and learning about NICKELS! Can't wait for the release next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...