Too melodramatic? You're probably right. And it's only 10:15, so I can't go claiming sleepiness as the blame for my random jaunts. I think I'll blame my dog. :) For more about the hound, see my article from YESTERDAY.
Run-on sentences, especially the comma-splice kind, are such easy ruts
to fall into. They don't even have to be long sentences to commit crimes against the English language.
to fall into. They don't even have to be long sentences to commit crimes against the English language.
Marcie yawned, her naptime hadn't been long enough.
![]() |
| Simon Fieldhouse Art |
Whips and chains.
No? Okay. How about a little guy called a dash? I've known about this skinny little guy for a while, although I didn't always use him correctly and I never typed him correctly!
To create him, type the word before you want to use him, then without spaces type in two hyphens, and immediately follow with the word after you use him. Automatically, your word processor will convert your two hyphens into one "em dash." Some web pages won't do it automatically–like this one–but you can still use them by holding the alt key and typing 0150.
(By the way, it's called an em dash because with old print tools and even typewriters, it was roughly the width of the letter m. It's cousin, the en dash, is half its size–one hyphen instead of two–and is used instead of the word "to" in time ranges, among other things.)
"Knowing how to type the creature is one thing–anyone can do that. Knowing when to use and em dash is a totally different animal." Unbearably didactic when she's awake, Marcie crossed her paws and laid her head down.
The sentences above are all written correctly. The dash is used in place of a parenthetical. The final sentence, often confused with a comma-splice run-on, has a DEpendent clause attached to an INdependent clause. If there had been TWO independent clauses, "Get a rope!" For more info, check out the article all about RUN-ON SENTENCES.
The best use of a dash is when dealing with informal writing. In formal writing, other punctuation, such as commas, colons, and parentheses would be used.
It's usage has been defined this way:
"A dash is a mark of separation stronger than a comma, less formal than a colon, and more relaxed than parentheses." ~from The Elements of Style, fourth edition, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White, page 9.
1. Dashes are used instead of a comma when you want to highlight something or give it more emphasis. Use this technique especially when utilizing sarcasm or to pop the humor.
It is especially appropriate when you're using an informal list.
3. When a parenthetical is appropriate, a dash can be used instead–especially if the writing is informal. Again, this is used to give more emphasis, such as with repeated words.
Say, "Goodbye," Marcie.
*snort *sigh "mmmmmmmmmnarphmmmmm."
Here are a couple of sentences to practice on. Choose one and write it in such a way (with or without a dash) that it isn't a run-on. Or you could just say, "Hi" to me and Marcie. (I'll pass it along.)
(Marcie just woke up. I think she wants to hear more about this dog!)
"Knowing how to type the creature is one thing–anyone can do that. Knowing when to use and em dash is a totally different animal." Unbearably didactic when she's awake, Marcie crossed her paws and laid her head down.
The sentences above are all written correctly. The dash is used in place of a parenthetical. The final sentence, often confused with a comma-splice run-on, has a DEpendent clause attached to an INdependent clause. If there had been TWO independent clauses, "Get a rope!" For more info, check out the article all about RUN-ON SENTENCES.
The best use of a dash is when dealing with informal writing. In formal writing, other punctuation, such as commas, colons, and parentheses would be used.
It's usage has been defined this way:
"A dash is a mark of separation stronger than a comma, less formal than a colon, and more relaxed than parentheses." ~from The Elements of Style, fourth edition, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White, page 9.
1. Dashes are used instead of a comma when you want to highlight something or give it more emphasis. Use this technique especially when utilizing sarcasm or to pop the humor. Marcie's actions–when she wasn't snoozing against the couch–centered around her nose and her stomach.2. Colons and semi-colons are often used in non-fiction, especially academic papers, but in stories, notes, and memoirs, the dash could take those places.
The dog reflected on her day's activities–ate, napped, slept, barked at a squirrel, dozed, and ate again."Couldn't you have said, 'Sleek beagle' or 'Super-puppy,' instead of just, 'the dog'?"
It is especially appropriate when you're using an informal list.
Marcie allowed her three favorite girls–Precious Redhead, Dinky Twinkie #1, and Dinky Twinkie #2–to stick a hat on her head and pose her for pictures."You should mention the handful of kibble they offered a piece at a time. I can be bribed, you know."
3. When a parenthetical is appropriate, a dash can be used instead–especially if the writing is informal. Again, this is used to give more emphasis, such as with repeated words.
Marcie posed for a picture–one last picture–before she called it quits and trotted into the kitchen for a snack.It is also a perfect partner when you're dealing with fragmented thoughts.
"You make it sound like all I do is eat and sleep. I do all sorts of–is that chicken I smell? What was I saying?"That last example could also use an ellipsis, but that's a topic for another day.
|
*snort *sigh "mmmmmmmmmnarphmmmmm."
Here are a couple of sentences to practice on. Choose one and write it in such a way (with or without a dash) that it isn't a run-on. Or you could just say, "Hi" to me and Marcie. (I'll pass it along.)
- Whenever they talked they always talked for a long time they had a habit of returning to the topic of the dog.
- He was a princely beast of mixed lineage he carried himself like royalty.
- His benefits a fine coat strong muscles and dapper coloring caught the eye of most on the street.
(Marcie just woke up. I think she wants to hear more about this dog!)



Wow, thanks for the dash 101! And I didn't know that you could use a "m" dash by typing "alt" and "0150". That's good to know! I always love your humor, Marji Laine! Thanks for following my blog :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming by, Gwendolyn. And I your post yesterday made me LAUGH!
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of well-used em dashes. They can add some flavor to our writing. I'm going to try your 0150 tip on my WordPress blog. I hope it works.
ReplyDeleteSo thankful that alt-shortcuts stay the same between programs and websites!
ReplyDeleteI was actually trying to figure out dashes yesterday, and now Marji has done all the work for me!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this humorous and informative post!
Woohoo! Happy to please! :)
ReplyDeleteWow. I never realized how much a dash can help in writing sentences. That is really helpful. I always love the humor you put into your posts, Marji Laine. That alone can make the lessons you give enjoyable, but you also explain things so well that I can't help but enjoy them.
ReplyDelete-C. Kay Elsie
I didn't know dashes could be so useful. I may just use one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement, C.Kay. Glad you like to visit!
ReplyDeleteI'll be watching for those dashes, Daniel!
Good to know, thanks.
ReplyDeleteWait, wait.
Good to know – thanks.