My ROW 80 goals have taken on some major changes. My original goal was to write 1300 words per day, Monday through Friday with the hopes of finishing my WIP by the end of December. Quickly, my goal changed to 1500 words, then 1800 words as I calculated what I needed to end in time. As I clocked in more and more words, I changed my goal, antsy to reach the conclusion faster.
My current goal is 2300 words per day, Monday through Friday. I allowed that my blogs are included in this, but I'm keeping that to a minimum. Now instead of finishing at the end of December, I hope to
finish in 2 weeks, by the end of November. (Actually, if I'm really honest, I'd like to finish it up this week. I think I'm about 15k away. So ready to write THE END!)
finish in 2 weeks, by the end of November. (Actually, if I'm really honest, I'd like to finish it up this week. I think I'm about 15k away. So ready to write THE END!)
I really do think I can make it, though. It's not as easy to sit for a long section of time and churn out all of the words in one sitting, but it isn't nearly so hard when I break my words into bite-sized morsels of 800 at a time. But I only do that when they are coming slowly.
What I'm not sure I can do is the new goal. The one I just took on when I saw a challenge tweeted by Rachelle Gardner. Exercising for thirty minutes every day, through the holidays. What was I thinking when I piped up and said yes to this? I hate exercise. I'm allergic to my own sweat. It makes me itch to blah, blah, blah.
Truth is, I have to do it. I painted myself into a corner and can't back away from the commitment. (I need to be committed, all right! Do they still call that place the funny farm?) So I've added yet another facet to my ROW80 goals and so far, I've met the exercise one. It helps that I'm making myself check-in daily at Facebook everyday. Great accountability.
As far as the writing, I've stayed pretty well ahead of the curve. I haven't quite made 2300 every day, but it averages out over 2000 per day. I'd like to get some strong days of writing and get this puppy done! Can't wait to start my revisions!
Oh my gosh. After I wrote this article, I hunkered down yesterday and added another 6K to my novel. Broke my record for words added in a day! I'm in the homestretch with 66K so far.
Oh my gosh. After I wrote this article, I hunkered down yesterday and added another 6K to my novel. Broke my record for words added in a day! I'm in the homestretch with 66K so far.
My head is reeling. You are such a writerly inspiration, and now you've added the whole exercise thing...sheesh. I'm so excited for you to finish!
ReplyDeleteI am, TOO! Couldn't put it down last night and added another 6k to the story. Broke my all-time record! But I'm coming up on the climax right now, so it's not really all that hard to do.
ReplyDeleteThe exercise is another matter. Thank goodness for cheerleaders!
Good for you! Because I am doing the NaNoWriMo challenge again this year, my goal is to write 2000 words per day on that project AND continue with all my other blogging etc. When it comes to setting writing goals, I'm all in! HOWEVER .... I'm with you when it comes to exercise. It seems no matter how many times I try to motivate myself or set a goal or whatever, I can't seem to stick to a healthy exercise plan.
ReplyDeleteIt's like I can get my life in order in one area, but not another. Grrr!!!
I'm always at my worst with exercise. I don't even spell it right! Any time I start to type it up, I type e-x-c and then have to go fix it. EVERY TIME! What's up with that? I think it's a psychological wall I'm trying to put up!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on that record-breaking word count, Marji! Wow!
ReplyDeleteI'm here to cheer you on with your exercise goals. I've taken the challenge, too. We can do it!
Man! Way to really push yourself toward accomplishing some amazing things! I can't wait for you to get to finally writing THE END, too; it's going to be awesome and you're almost there!
ReplyDeleteI...am going to start my exercise goals soon. Hopefully. Maybe...Aw, heck, I'm terrible with setting up that one, so I'm always rooting for and very envious of anyone who does better than me at tackling them, so whoo hoo! You can do it! One of us has to. ;)
Thanks for the encouragement, Keli!
ReplyDeleteLS, Saw a challenge on Twitter by an amazing agent. Actually replied, accepting the challenge of a month of solid exercise. Yikes! I am such a couch potato! But I can't let it get around literary-land that I don't follow through on commitments. Just enough of a push to make me do it.