I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Writing Tip - Pre-Writing

I've been reading a lot about outlining this week. First, in an email course I got, and then from a question I had from a student.

I've said it before, I'm not a "pantser", a seat-of-the-pants writer who is so stinking creative that everything just flows out in perfect order. I know some of them, am in awe of their abilities (and their memories), but I could never hope to be one.

Because I have a lousy memory and because the
planning stage is one of my favorite steps in the writing process. And I use a LOT of tools in my planning.

Heroine ideal for my WIP - work in progress
As far as outlining goes, the actual IA1b stuff, I use only for research papers and essays - and rarely for the latter. Non-fiction writing begs for that type of organization to make sure all points are covered.

But I write suspense - mysteries. Those, too, beg for the details to be thoroughly explained. Unfortunately, when I tried to set up an outline on Word, it was so convoluted, so difficult to create and maintain, that I gave in and did it on Excel instead. I didn't really use it though.

Hero ideal for my WIP
As a stepping stone, my basic outline helped me to build a notebook of my information. When doing research, my notebook allowed me to establish sections on the characters, the settings, and the day-by-day activities that made up the story. I LOVED that!

This was the story board for my last novel.
My favorite part is going through pages of models to pick out the look that I want for my characters. Sometimes I know exactly what or who I'm looking for. Sometimes I'm just left hunting for a look. Googling different hair styles works best for me, but I wouldn't recommend it for young people. (Can I just say that the creepy pictures that folks put innocent key words on make me pretty sick?)

Story board for my WIP - Cat's Eyes. You can tell I've just started because
I've only used a few sticky notes. Only a few chapters in, so far.
Anyway, once I finish my calendar set up, my plot in a daily episode guide, I transfer the data to note cards. Well, note slips, actually. This time, my plot line is in purple. I fill out a different slip for every POV change or setting change. I've never gotten an official definition of what entails a "scene" in fiction, but these seem the most logical scene changes to me.

Then, things get interesting. By now, I've been through my entire story sequentially at least twice. I mount my scene cards in vertical stripes according to the day on a story board, giving me a snapshot of the entire story. From that vantage point, it's easy to see where things aren't lining up. Where there are gaps or lapses in the suspense, the romance, or the story line in general.

I use sticky notes to identify problems with the plot or a character and also use them as reminders to focus my thinking as I begin to write.

The words don't always pour out, but they tend to flow pretty steadily once I have scene-by-scene goals. The whole point of the pre-writing or planning stage is to increase the word flow. Getting the thoughts and ideas easily and quickly out of the head of the writer and onto the paper is the goal so that the writer can then have something to work with and perfect.

Gosh, it sounds so easy ...

Are you a plotter or a pantser? What is your favorite part of the writing process?

18 comments:

  1. You don't seem like a pantser to me! lol I do what you do with the notebook, but I actually use OneNote by microsoft. You can create tons of notebooks and the research you copy and paste holds the links where you got it from, plus you can drag and drop and create notecards. Very cool.

    But, when it comes to murder, I still use a wall size dry erase board aka murder board. Why fix it if it ain't broke!

    Jill Kemerer did a great post some time back on One Note. You might like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm both...mostly a panster. I do plot but in a notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a pantser, but I do love making character sketches. It's a really visual and creative process. Love the sketches you did for your hero. They're so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Jessica, for the tip. I'll look up that article! I'm probably way over the top, but my board allowed me to grab my next three scenes so I could use my time while I wait for the end of volleyball practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand planning and pre-writing. Often I'll write a paper and my mother will ask me where my outline is. I usually end up writing an outline and completely rewriting my paper right before the deadline, even though I had it completed over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but you're going to LOVE outlining come next semester because it's gonna save your bacon! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why not try shifting it all to a metrical deep play, the poet's device, letting the voice come as it will. Story began as a poem, as a lay, an epic, a saga, and a song. Maybe we try too hard to make writing be rational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kathryn, I can tell you an artist. My rational mind begs for compartments so I can maintain focus on the story. I'm amazed at folks that can let their fingers sing. Mine can only work through jingles before I forget where they were headed.

    But I love the visual of the story as a song. Once done, it certainly should dance with the emotion. The boxes I use as tools, like paint brushes to an artist, shouldn't show to the reader at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, Marji! You are quite the planner! I'm a "panster" so I kind of go along for the ride!

    And--I write mysteries, too, but mine are for middle grades.

    Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Diagrams and everything! You're one organized gal!! I think that's why the Lord has me writing non-fiction - I'm not sure I'd be motivated enough to painstakingly plot everything out. Kudos to you, Marji! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you found me, too, Cheryl! As an elem teacher, I loved middle-grade mysteries! (Faves are the Westing Game and Who Stole the Wizard of Oz.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a speech or an essay, making an outline really helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make the complicated process of putting together the pieces of the novel's puzzle sound so easy. I myself probably lean more towards being a plotter. My favorite part of the whole process is the brainstorming for plots and characters. - C. Kay Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I had no idea you have to put so much work into writing a book. I don't know if I could do it!
    Sharlena Powell

    ReplyDelete
  15. who knew it was so complicated to write!
    JuStIn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that's pretty intense. I'm not sure if I could ever work with a wall or sticky notes like that. Easier to change than a spreadsheet I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you wanted to write a short story, would it be it be easier to plan it out on a storyboard, outline, or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I liked working with a storyboard because I could pull off my events and move them around. Not as easy to do with an outline, but still workable. I think it may have to do with learning styles. A person who learns best by seeing the information will do great with an outline. A person who learns best by actively placing the pieces and moving them around might like a storyboard best.

      Delete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...