Right now, I'm listening to my very old beagle bark at a squirrel that hopped across the treetops about twenty minutes ago. My dog, Marcie, has a great sniffer, even at her age, and all the barking is sure giving her plenty of exercise.
I think I heard the squirrel laughing.
Silly things like this happen everyday. If it isn't this dog, it's the other one, an overgrown puppy, coming in to hoist himself up on my lap and lick my face. Or it's my girls laughing or singing in the den. That sound will charm my socks off.
Last night as I was writing, it was the
Ranger game, playing in the bedroom next to my office. I had it on my own TV, but with no sound so I could just keep an eye on the score. When sweet hubby took to bed, I didn't need the sound on my machine anyway because he had both his TV and his radio blaring. At the same time, my girls watched some Disney movie with the music turned loud so they could dance.
I think I got my typing speed up to three words per minute.
I just can't think very well through some sounds. I mean, my dog is still barking, and while I would never be able to sleep through the racket like some of my family could, it obviously doesn't stop me from writing. But TV? Forgetaboutit.
And music? I can't do anything with music playing unless it's pure orchestrations and not very familiar. Otherwise, my head fills with the words to the songs and out goes the words that I'm trying to write. Last night, I didn't know any of the words in the Disney musical, but the dance beat kept me engaged.
Silly, huh?
I think I must be ADD or I wouldn't be so distracted. It also explains why I love my storyboard so much. By telling the story in my head to make the board, I lodge it firmly in there, but I also have a record of my ideas so I won't forget them.
Which is good, because I have the memory of a mouse!
Nevertheless, I did make my word count and more. I've stayed completely on track since my overhaul last week, but I know I will be gone all night tonight and all day tomorrow so I'll need to have a double word count done before volleyball this afternoon.
That's 3k. Wish me luck!
What things distract you? Duties, chores, hobbies? What keeps you away from your WIP at unexpected times?


Good job on fighting through the distractions. Family is a BIG one. Keep it up :)
ReplyDeleteLOL you would post this just as I sneak over to look at my email. Yes, you guessed, email, FB, they are major distractions right along with TV.
ReplyDeleteI didn't even mention the computer stuff - Yikes. I have to totally close the internet when I start writing.
ReplyDeleteI put the Spa channel on Pandora on if I want background noise. If there is any kind of hummable tune, I can't write either. Sorry about those distractions, but it sounds like you're doing well anyway. Keep on truckin'!
ReplyDeleteSomething like that might work. I also love the sound of thunderstorms and rain. That sort of weather always makes me reflective!
ReplyDelete