I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

V is for . . .

Vessel

I have a poem that I wrote decades ago, during a time when I actively tried to have my poems published. (Sold one! For the back of a bulletin, and I got a check for $10!) In those days, I wanted so badly to write, but
couldn't envision actually finishing a full book. So I created card blurbs and sent them off to greeting card companies. When I finally sold the one poem, I stopped. Not because I sold one, though that coulda done it for me. I started teaching full-time and I'm the sort of person who goes 100% into the careers that I pursue.

So during that time, I wrote a poem I titled "Vessels." I can't read it, even now, without getting teary-eyed and feeling such gratitude for the Father. And I really want to post it. But I've never tried to have it published so I don't know the rules about shopping things that have been "published" on a blog.

So instead, I'll share the gist; the depth of what moves me about this poem. It has it's roots in Romans 9:21. "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?"


As I meditated on the verse, I started thinking about the types of vessels I have around my house.

  • I have a plastic mug with a colored paper band around it that was a gift from one of my girls for a Christmas several years ago. I never use it, but can't seem to part with it. 
  • There's a beautiful white glass vahhhhhze in my china cabinet. Could not even guess where it came from, but it's gorgeous. 
  • Oh and I LOVE my cereal bowl. It's not long for this world because it's cracked, but it's deep enough to get a REAL serving of cereal and carry it to my office without worrying about spillage.
  • And my dog has a huge faux terra cotta flower pot that we used to fill with water for him. He took to chewing on it over the summer so it doesn't hold water anymore, but it amuses him.
I'm sure I can think of some others: a pen holder from the musical OKLAHOMA that I was in, a pewter challis that used to be used as a prop for all of the Christmas and Easter musicals that our church used to produce, a small silver heart-shaped jewelry box that I got my senior year in high school.

All of these vessels have a purpose. Some of them just sit around and look pretty (or gather dust and need polishing). Others are totally necessary, used all the time. And then there are some that have been almost used up and their original purpose is no longer possible. Even they have usefulness. (Without my dog's chew toy, my sweet hubby's hoses would be in great danger!)

We're vessels, too. Young or old, sick or healthy, wealthy or not, we have a job to do - a place in God's plan. That is so encouraging to me! My Father loves me so much that He not only has a place for me, He's given me all the talents and education, money and time to fulfill His purpose. Wow.

What are some of the ways you've been a vessel this week?

8 comments:

  1. I was used as a vessel by listening to a customer about some severe health issues and insurance/financial problems. I tried to help by suggesting several directions. She just really needed someone to listen, so I let her pour it all into me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO thankful that He is the potter and I am the clay. That He molds and shapes His vessels according to His divine will. Fantastic post! Love my cereal bowl, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's just nothing like the feeling of being useful to the Master!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this post. I havne't been out much this week, so I'm an unfilled vessel so far. :) Good thing there is more of the week to come.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! This week our church took our regular Sunday morning worship time to go out into the community and do service projects. I was part of the team that did fall clean-up on the yard of a young mother who just learned the bone cancer she fought off a few years ago has returned. We cleaned, and we prayed. Vessels of labor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that, Niki! I feel the same way, Diana, but it can happen when least expected. This morning, I got a call from a friend I hadn't seen for a while who needed a ride. She ended up blessing me more than I blessed her, but I was pleased to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. I love the trip down memory lane and the reminder that we are all useful no matter our condition.

    And many magazines do consider posting something on a blog to be "published" since it's a public place, so even though I'd love to see the poem, it was a wise decision not to post it. Hope you can find a good home for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sparrow. I'm glad I didn't post it, too - think the Spirit did a little whispering, because I had the whole thing formatted and ready.

    I bet it will find a good home!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...