I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Recipe for Romantic Comedy

In anticipation of the second book in this series (Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride which releases Friday) I snuggled down with Sandra D. Bricker's Always the Baker, Never the Bride. What an intricate recipe! Character-driven, Ms. Bricker uses a huge helping of irony as her base.

The main character and her family serve as the foundation. Emma Rae is an award-winning baker who can scarcely enjoy tastes of her creations because of diabetes. Not one to let that detail get her down, she applies humor to overcome the rest of her dysfunctions. Her parents hide huge secrets with masks of sophistication and sarcasm. Even her aunt, who provides comic relief, blends ludicrous behavior with sage wisdom.

Into the mix, spreads other unique characters. A gothic-themed BFF, complete with piercings and tattoos provides the spiritual encouragement proving that things aren't always what
they seem. The spice of a haunted hero, Jackson Drake has looks, smarts, wealth, and attitude on the crusty outside that covers deepset pain and insecurities. Yummy.

Author, Sandra D. Bricker
Sprinkled liberally throughout the story are support characters, all loosely connected to the hotel they are opening. A tyrannical chef and his superior sous chef, a weasel of an employer, and an ever-present reverend offer flavors of persistence, irritation, and annoyance. Jackson's sisters, interchangeable Southern belles, intersperse their talents for gracious living and meddlesome controlling of "Baby Bruthah."

I loved the way the characters interacted, alternating between anxiety and laughter, though the pressure never became intense. In fact, the lack of tension was the only complaint I had with this story. Several issues arose and I anticipated great and glorious blow-ups or satisfying repercussions. However, none of them quite met expectations. Several minor story lines fell by the wayside without any exploration. Though full of possibilities, their potential received nods at best, while a couple of the issues didn't even get that much.

But the story made for an easy read, relaxing and humorous. I would recommend it to fans of romantic comedies, especially if they're fond of clean books and Christian messages.

Whether books or movies, what would you consider the funniest romantic comedy you've ever encountered?

4 comments:

  1. Her books sound fun. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun and my precious redhead is reading the second of the series that I won for a contest - yea! She's liking it, too.

    Oh and one of her other books, LOVE FINDS YOU IN SNOWBALL ARKANSAS, hit my favorite for the summer list! Lots of antics and laugh-out-loud situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to check out Sandra's books. They sound laugh out loud!

    I enjoy Deanne Gist's books. She probably doesn't consider her stories strictly romantic comedy, but some of her scenes are hilarious! She's not afraid to GO THERE when it comes to humor, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out her books, too. Thanks Brandi!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...