I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

W is for

Win!

As I write this, my hometown team, the Texas Rangers are gearing up to play game #3 in St. Louis against the Cardinals. By the time it actually posts, they'll have completed game #5 of the seven that they play to determine the winner of the World Series. I'd like to say that I don't care who wins because baseball doesn't really interest me all that much.

I'd like to say that, but I can't.

Baseball doesn't interest me all that much, but I do care. I care because my sweet hubby went to games for decades with his dad, enduring losing season after losing season. I care because after our marriage, we carried on the tradition, hoping for better things. I care because I watched home plate from the old Arlington Stadium leave after the last game there and I watched it arrive at the new "Ballpark in Arlington" on the very first game the next season, and got the sunburn to prove it!

AP Photo by Matt Slocum
I care because some of my fondest memories of my dear boy have him peeking out from under a red ball cap with a big blue T on it. I care because that same boy went to his first Ranger game at the tender age of six months and slept through it, and so did all of his sisters, at or near that age, surrounded by loved ones.

For years, the Rangers have served my family and friends at birthday parties, homeschool field trips, and Mother's Day celebrations, offering discounts, tailgating, and the best 4th of July fireworks around.

It's payback.

I don't usually even know that the World Series has come and gone, but this time, it's personal. This year, even more than last, it holds history and depth, not just of a sport, but of tradition and reward for jobs well done.

What traditions or special memories do you hold from the month of October?

15 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I mostly associate October with the changing seasons and starting the count down for the holidays ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I hope you don't win. :) Sorry but I'm a big Cardinals fan. :)
    IN love,
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I Cub fan I can totally empathize with losing season after season. With that said, I still have to root for the National League. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, gals! I learned a long time ago, when I lived smack dab in rival territory, how to be a gracious fan! Win or lose.

    Glad ya'll aren't Yankee fans - I don't know if I could lose as graciously to them. But then, I don't have to. Hee Hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a White Sox fan...we had our moment several years back.

    October is my birth month and also the change of seasons...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a reason to love it, Loree. Dear Son turns 21 on Wednesday! Yikes!

    What traditions do you have for your birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since I watched a baseball game, but I remember the thrill and energy of a hometeam win. Hope the Rangers make it through!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Diana. It would be a first for the Rangers. After decades of attempts, they've only made it to the series one other time - last year. There's room for hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The very best baseball was when my sons played! But I've been watching the Cardinals play because the kids at school are so caught up in it. I have to be a little in the know. Besides that - this is Cardinals territory:) Go Cardinals! But in all fairness to dear Marji's blog - May the best team win:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE baseball. Or used to- don't watch much anymore. No real favorites this time. LOVED this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by. And Laury ;) You are too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a fun post! I don't follow baseball even though I live between the Dodgers and the Angels home bases!

    ReplyDelete
  13. October is our big birthday month... hubby, best friend, oldest son, father, parents' anniversary... October memories are full of birthday cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not much of a sports fan. But I do love fall for other reasons! We just returned from a long road trip and I got a lot of wonderful pictures of October splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so jealous, Shelley! We don't often get a pretty fall around here. Had a trip planned to New Hampshire, but will need to enjoy it another time. Something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...