It reminds me of the seasons of life. I'm not talking about
the four of them, childhood, active years, passive years, and old age (whatever that is). I'm talking about recurring times in our lives, both physical and spiritual, when we go through
hibernation, renewal, perseverance, and harvest.

Hibernation is, of course, winter. Just like the trees shut down, we need a respite from the emotions of life. This season need not be a depression. It can be drawing in, like an octopus, for protection or rebuilding. Retreats, Sabbaths, and sabbaticals would be part of this time, when we can step away from regular activities and focus on replenishing.
Renewal would be spring. After our replenishing, we are full of the energy needed to burst forth. This is the time when we'll start new ministries or get involved in mission work. We'll put out extra effort to make a difference in someone's life and set new goals for ourselves. After the period of rest we've had, we've got the strength to get moving.
Perseverance is when we'll need that strength. I live in Texas. Getting through a drought-fueled, record breaking summer is anything but a picnic. This is the season when our resolves will be tested, when our spirits are dried up from constant needs. It's a season of trials. The skies seem silent and patience wears thin. The rest of Hibernation is long forgotten and the energy of Renewal is a distant memory. We shift in order to find some comfort and pray that the season passes quickly.
Harvest is the excitement of looking back at where we've been. It culminates the challenges we've been through and serves as an encouragement. Harvest also focuses on the Lord's work, what He has done and what he's gearing up for. A time of reflection as well as looking ahead.
I find myself in the season of Perseverance right now, and not just because the temperatures have been so intolerable. I hope to make it through the doorway to Harvest very soon, and I'm already starting to anticipate it.
What season do you find yourself in?

I often refer to life's seasons! I even mentioned it in this week's blog post.
ReplyDeleteJust like summer often drags it's heels while autumn is moving in, so the seasons overlap. For me, life's seasons seem to be overlapping right now. Great article!
ReplyDeleteI love that I live in the midwest where you know the seasons are changing. It helps me realize that what every personal season I'm in, it will pass.
ReplyDeletewww.pencildancer.com
Beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteI'm in a season of rest and wait.
Thanks so much for visiting, ladies! I was inspired!
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful, Marji. The writing AND that picture. SO wanna run across that bridge!
ReplyDeleteExcellent post! I just shared something about life seasons last week on my blog, too, because I'm in one of those fall/winter seasons and it feels like it will never end! Thank goodness for all these inspiring, encouraging reminders that seasons are, by nature, temporary!
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to remember that when your in the midst of it, Niki, but they are. This will pass. Life will move on. Both good and bad will come. And we are stronger for them both.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness -- I think I go through that entire "year" on a daily basis. Very wise thoughts here. I loved the octopus simile -- very effective
ReplyDeleteSo glad you came by, Deana. I often feel like an octopus when I get stung. Or like the STAR TREK ENTERPRISE, "Shields up!" LOL!
ReplyDeleteWe have harvest right outside my front door, Marji. The trucks and tractors are hauling in the grain and my husband is gone all hours of the day and night.
ReplyDeleteI so wish I felt like I was in the harvest season of my life. Very nice post and I LOVE that picture!
Laury, your place sounds like a dream, but I know where you're coming from on the inside. May the Lord give you deep joy and contentment even through Perseverance!
ReplyDeleteI really like your interpretation of the seasons we go through. I tend to get frustrated when I'm not in a renewal or harvest time, feeling like I should be getting more writing or whatever done. But it's good to remember that the other seasons are important, as well.
ReplyDelete"It can be drawing in, like an octopus, for protection or rebuilding. Retreats, Sabbaths, and sabbaticals would be part of this time, when we can step away from regular activities and focus on replenishing." This is exactly what I do in the fall--especially the month of October. You put it so well, Marji!
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Thanks, gals, and thanks for coming by.
ReplyDeleteI find that I do the drawing in, Patty, in response to circumstances. When I have too much socializing or have been hurt by something. That's why I think of it as an octopus because they'll pull it all in when they get stung.
Blessings!
What a beautiful way of looking at the seasons of life. I would say I'm in the perseverance season, too...with just a bit of early harvest coming in. Lovely. Thank-you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so full of anticipation, Shelley. Like any day a cold-snap will pop me right into Harvest season and I can breathe again.
ReplyDeleteSpring would definately be the season that I find myself in. I am in the stage of making decisions that will effect the rest of my life.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing this article Mrs. Clubine!
Sharlena
Yes, you are Sharlena! All the possibilities! But you have such a blessing that you don't have to make the tough decisions alone! Blessings! <><
ReplyDelete