I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Unravel the Mystery of Grammar!

I love my critique group. Like superheroes they open their laptops and design wit and wisdom through every line! With their help, I will avoid the neon signs marking novice writing and glaring amateurish errors. Here's what I learned just last night:
  • Make every word count.
  • Keep statements turned toward the positive side.
  • Cut up three-line sentences.
  • Start sentences with intention.
  • End with strong words.
  • Avoid using pronouns to begin or end sentences.
  • Avoid using it or this anytime
  • Avoid repeating words - oops.
  • Use a comma before the word "and."
  • Don't apply quotations marks outside of dialogue - oops, again.
  • Action verbs intensify sentences.
  • Eliminate passive, helping verb usage with -ing words following.
Checklist gold, the expert suggestions from this group confirm one major truth.
 . . . I still have a lot to learn!

What suggestions can you add to the list? What grammatical tidbit wormed it's way into your noggin lately?

9 comments:

  1. You've got great pointers here. As far as adding one...um...oh, how about limiting adverbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestions to add? Nope. Lots for me to learn? Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a teacher once who never let me use the word "there" in an essay so I suppose that would be my suggestion :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always confused about whether or not I should put a comma in front of "and" These are good tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There" is a new one for me, Ben. The comma thing is actually a fairly new rule, Erin. I was brought up that you use the comma instead of and, but that has now changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Writing this down right now. There's nothing much to add on the checklist this is as you said gold.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, Daniel! See you tomorrow and no snoring in class!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...