I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fragmented

It has come to my attention, that fragments, such as they are, can be perfectly acceptable. In professional writing. I've seen many examples of it. One word sentences. Other short expressions that, while they don't have clear subjects or predicates, stand alone as a complete thought.

How many fragments could you count in the first paragraph? I'm no expert, but
I'm counting three.

The first two are obvious. I see prepositional phrases used as complete sentences in almost every book I read, and "In professional writing," is one of those. The second is also short and consists of only a subject, "One word sentences."

Bet you didn't miss those. The last sentence of the paragraph is a fragment as well. I had to read it a second time to be sure I wrote what I thought I did. If you're confused about that last one, remember that "expressions" is the simple subject. Pull out the phrase in between the commas and toss it aside. What you have left is "... expressions that stand alone as a complete thought" ... do what. What do the expressions that stand alone do?

Yet published books are full of these grammatical trespasses. Oh the humanity! Actually, fragments are often used in novels for a variety of reasons. (Note to the Prep & Precision students: the next paragraph is in a classification format!)

Use of fragments has to do with voice. Some authors write in a short, choppy tone where fragments are necessary to maintain the rhythm of the piece. Often the way they speak, this voice makes their writing unique. Others will utilize fragments for specific characters. A female investigator, for instance, would be more apt to use them than a proper southern belle. There are also particular times when short, clipped sentences are appropriate to portray the mood. This type could be used during intense action scenes. Even though fragments are frowned upon in academic circles, they are often used in literary ones.

All of the situations above have one thing in common. they are all controlled situations, done on purpose. Authors don't write fragments because they don't know any better.

Neither should writing students! :)

What was your most embarrassing writing faux pas?

13 comments:

  1. I suppose we have absolutely no excuses then! Write complete sentences I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you hinting at something...
    -Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting post. You gave me tons to chew on here.

    I agree that much of it has to do with voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I notice it more and more now that I'm aware of it, Loree. And it can make a big difference in the mood of a character or the tone of an event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fragments in novels. I noticed them first written in the words and thoughts of a tough no-nonsense, fifteen year-old bird-kid, heroine. Similar to your modern, tough, detective, I suppose the authors used the fragments to describe their personalities in a let-the-audience-figure-it-out-kind-of-way.
    Enjoyed "Fragmented" thoroughly,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting, Rebekah. That's exactly the type of character who might use them. Good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about fragments in just that way before. When I'm reading a novel, it just makes sense to see them in certain places to make the thoughts flow. This factor makes the story much more enjoyable for the reader. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, C.Kay. I'm watching for this technique as I read and as I write now days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, considering the fact that I am still a writing student, my sentances must be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed how fragments are used in some stories! Definitely have to remember this for my essays. :)

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, professionals can get away with them in fiction. But students won't get away with them in expository writing!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...