Keeping that positive attitude in blogs and interactions with folks really starts deeper
than the keyboard. For writers, it's a natural to let the mind drift through conflicts of all sorts. Even before I actually started putting my thoughts on paper, I developed all sorts of scenarios in my head, stimulated by interesting people and places. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was in training for this position in which the Lord has placed me.
The problem was in the rare occasions when I got angry or hurt. I would really give the offender a piece of my mind. Seriously, I would ream him/her out, but-good!
In the car . . .
or lying in bed . . .
or in the shower . . .
Oh, I should probably tell you that all of these arguments are actually held in my own head. See I'm not very practiced in verbal fencing. I don't usually think fast enough to come up with the glib responses that can bring the opposition to their knees.
It didn't keep me from revisiting the frustration over and over in my mind, though. Years after the insult, I would relive it and get the upper hand. Again, using my writer's imagination.
This is a really dangerous practice. Focusing on negatives and letting them dominate my mind means that when I put on a happy face and pretend that everything is rosy, I'm relying heavily on my filters. I'm also practicing a habit of falseness. I feel one way, but apply a mask and pretend something else.
It's better if I don't indulge in my negative feelings in the first place. If I can keep the negative feelings out of my mind from the get-go, then I don't have to pretend. My attitude is clean and pure. No need to tax my filters or design a mask. What's more, I'm filling my mind with words of grace, humility, and forgiveness. That can't do anything but help me!
That's where Paul's instructions to the Philippians in chapter 4 is really handy.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Php 4:8Paul didn't advise that we "speak" or "write" or even "do such things." He said to keep our minds on them. He knew that what we held onto inside the gray cells would influence everything about us. (Although I doubt that the first century apostle would use the words, gray cells. Lol!)
It reminds me of a song, of course! "O be careful little mind what you think ... for the Father up above is looking down in love, so be careful little mind what you think."
So as I struggle from time to time to let go of anger, insult, hostility toward my family or friends, and that oh-so-easily-excused righteous indignation, I pray the Lord will help me take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Cor. 10:5) That in that practice, I will develop and attitude of true worship.
What attitude keeps sneaking up on you? What are some active choices you can make to avoid the attitude? Share them, I need all the help I can get avoiding mine!
Great post, Marji. I so agree.
ReplyDeleteIn fact my blog tomorrow will be similar.
I guess it is the flesh that wants to look for the bad or argue. Hard to tame that beastly tongue.
I agree, Patty, although my mind's tongue is worse than my mouth's tongue will ever be!
ReplyDeleteWill miss ya'll tomorrow! :)