I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Friend or Character?

I was at a meeting the other night and we were just chit-chatting about life, inspiration, etc. One of the gals said she was with a couple of "normals," (her word for non-writers) and she explained a story that had happened to a friend of hers. she got to the end of the story before realizing that it wasn't
about a friend at all. It was about a character from her current work-in-progress.

Well, we cackled like hens over that one, but it made me think. Shouldn't all of our characters be that way? Shouldn't they be so real that we feel like we know them.

And if they were real, would we like them. Would they be friends of ours?

Thinking through this begs me to go back and revisit my main character in my WIP. She's quirky, smart, and good at what she does. Her past history prevents her from opening up to people. That part of her personality is essential to my story, but I've struggled with how to balance that pain with enough positive traits that I like her. I don't want to spend 200 pages just feeling sorry for her.

Characters, like real people, have layers to their personality. In real life, those layers tend to come partially from parentage. Was dear daddy sheer trouble as a two year old? Lil' darling will likely be as well.

Another big hunk of personality comes from interaction with their parents and siblings. A baby can have a distinct difference in attitude depending on whether he is picked on or doted on by the older members of his family.

When I'm creating characters, I have to take things like that into account as well. Those aren't the biggest influences, though. When creating characters, the most important sway to their behavior is their back story. It might include parentage or environment, but more likely than not it's specific events and traumas that make them act the way they do.

That's not so unusual, though. I have a back story. In fact, I have several back stories that affect the way I view things.

I'm considering some regular postings about my main character's back story. It's a story in itself and I thought it would give folks a chance to get to know my friend, Alynne Stone.

What is your favorite character from a book and why are they special?

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fairweather friend of books I read, I'm afraid. But my characters from my projects are the ones I daydream about hanging out with.
    I love ones who've had to overcome adversity, and still manage to be strong and not break down in a puddle of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atticus Finch - To Kill A Mockingbird - he just makes you feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I laughed when I read your post. My daughter was telling me how she almost asked for prayer for a person. Just in time, she realized it was a fictional character from a Karen Kingsbury book she was reading! Funny how characters take on a distinct personality all their own! Sign of a good writer!

    Thanks for stopping by Life Lessons! You're too sweet! Thank you so much for the award! So glad the Lord has used my blog in you and your daughter's lives. I'm truly humbled by your kind words. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs and blessings to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loree, Love him! I think my favorite is Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, but I can agree with Natalia, I prefer the folks in my own books to the ones I don't know as well.

    Maria, you make me laugh! Tell your daughter that I've almost done that, too!

    Ya'll have an amazing weekend! I'm going to enjoy some more volleyball (but I'll be bringing my e-reader along!)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...