I just finished Camy Tang's Deadly Intent. Can I just say, "WOW!"
This story is more than a suspense novel. The plot weaves in and out of the characters' lives with a master's touch.
Naomi Grant's terror from
finding the body of her next massage client at an exclusive Sonoma spa leads to a desperate attempt to solve the mystery. Her very freedom depends on it. At the same time, Dr. Devon Knightley, who becomes a suspect in the death, stirs up both confusion and comfort in an odd mixture for Naomi.
Ms. Tang twists together a perfect mystery set in a beautiful upscale world that most folks will never experience. Her descriptions are exactly balanced with the action while keeping the intensity of the story at just the right level. The story starts like a supersonic train, not uncommon for suspense stories. Unlike many novels, though, the middle of the story is just as exciting as the beginning. The ending, while wrapping up all loose ends, keeps the thrills going. Neither long-winded, nor overly brief, it entirely satisfies.
By the way, when I said perfect, I wasn't using the term loosely.
When I review a book, I focus on the positive things that I read, and ignore details that don't go over so well. Such was not necessary with Deadly Intent. I couldn't put the book down, not even at the volleyball games where I kept score. It sat next to me, so I could catch the next sentence anytime there was a break in the vball action. And even though I had NO CLUE which character committed the many crimes, this mystery has definitely taken the top spot of my favorites list.
Wish I could give it a sixth or seventh star on the reviews! I will definitely read every mystery Camy Tang writes from here on in! A second book in this series, Formula for Danger is available now, and a third book in the series, Stalker in the Shadows, will be available in January of 2012. I can't wait!
Updated 9-18-11 I wouldn't change a thing in this review. What an outstanding mystery!
What book have you recently read that is your ideal, your definition of perfection?


Great review! You've inspired me to put it on my TBR pile. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome, Jessica! You will be delighted!
ReplyDeleteWOW thanks so much! I'm so honored you loved my book so much!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Camy. Am looking forward to picking up the second book in the Sonoma series and I can't wait for #3 to come out in January!
ReplyDelete