I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Three Reasons

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock." Jesus

"Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me." Tony Orlando

No I'm not comparing the two, just sort of attaching the messages loosely. I think the Lord tries to get our attention to open our eyes about His plans. That is made obvious when different people bring the same message over and over. If I see the same Godly message twice, my ears perk up. When it comes three times,
especially from thoroughly different sources with no connections between them, I pay full attention.

Knock #1: I had an I-coulda-hada-V8 moment this afternoon. See I saw a Twitter link for this blog. Comfortable Christianity vs. Living by God's Power, by Grace Fox, and I did NOT want to go there. When I really DON'T want to receive a message, that's usually the time I need to make myself receive it, so I clicked through.

I was right. I didn't want to be there. It's a great story, about the way the Lord worked through a mission to Nepal, but how she had to give up all comfort and even her health for years to be there for Him to work. My discomfort rose with every sentence. I know God isn't calling me to Nepal, but I don't want to face the potential difficulties that lay before me.

I was so torn up by this article that I couldn't even leave a comment, which is unusual for me. It had nothing to do with the writing or even a bad message. In fact, the message was spot-on and speaking right at me, but I didn't want to hear it.

Maybe I should digress a moment. Think back to the last time you were at a store with a screaming child. The two-year-old wanted a piece of candy or gum and couldn't handle it when Mom said, "No."

That's me. I'm the two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum and my Heavenly Daddy is having to carry me out, kicking and screaming. *Sigh* See I'm desperately praying for something to happen, FAST. But I'm getting the picture that while He's got this, and the plan is in motion, it's not going to be fast enough. There's going to be some testing involved, not only for us, but for others as well. I can't tell you how much I don't want to go there.

Knock #2: A friend of mine even came over and told me the very same thing. His plans are in motion, but we've got to be patient.

She added that our faith would grow exponentially. But right now I'm looking up at Heartache Mountain, and knowing I'm a lousy hiker. I feel a lot like this tree. Not only are my insides all twisted up, but I'm dealing with this trapped feeling that continues to gnaw at all confidence. 

There are many old hymns: Lead Me, Lord, Trust and Obey, I Surrender All, that profess total acceptance of whatever the Lord has in mind for us, and I've always sung them with my whole heart. I'm having trouble right now even thinking through the words, let alone singing them. I want to mean them, but I know that by surrendering, I'm dooming myself to a season of pain, a season of desperation.

As though my not singing could do anything to stop it.

I have a choice. I can go out the door kicking and screaming and learn nothing but the pain, or I can follow out the door and find out what God is wanting to teach me. Either way, I'm going out the door.

Knock #3: And as a nail on the coffin, I ran across the prayer at the end of this article in The Christian Pulse by Robin Steinweg.
PRAYER: Holy Spirit, empty me of myself and fill me to overflowing with Yourself: Your Word, Your way, Your life. Spill out to bless those around me. I ask in Jesus’ name to be a fragrant offering to You.
Oh, yeah. The Spirit has been trying to get my attention for a couple of weeks on this one.

Three knocks.

Three alerts.

Same message.

I heard, You, Lord. I didn't want to, but I did. and I am willing.
Robin Steinweg's article ended with this scripture. I've accepted it's promise as part of my aha.
BIBLE VERSE: “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint me with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23:5-6 NIV).

2 comments:

  1. Really good lesson, from one screaming child to another. I know the feeling, my friend. lol. Hang in there. And catch me if my fingers slip!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Jackie! Gonna miss you gals for the next couple of months, but look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...