I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I is for Me, I mean I, BOTH of Us!

Today's letter is I; Introductions
At the Texas Christian Homeschool Prom with Sweet Hubby
Identity is a difficult monster to define. I've had many of them: student, wife, daughter, sister, teacher and now writer. When I left my teaching career, there was a little trouble with this topic. No longer with a full-time "career" it took some getting used to before embracing the role of stay-at-home-mom. Some of my SAHM friends sure had me fooled. I thought this job would be a breeze after teaching twenty-six 5th-graders. HA!


What a serve!
Life is anything but boring around here. My little car flits between volleyball, piano, gymnastics, and coop classes, along with a steady path to and from our church. I love the freedom that homeschooling affords, while still setting my kids up in the same types of activities that anyone else enjoys. My goofy boy even played two years of football for the Home School Athletic Association before going of to college. My precious redhead has played volleyball for four years, now, and the teams are always very competitive against any other home school groups or private schools in the area who will play. This year my dinky twinkies get to play, too. Can you say scrambled schedule? Oh, and in the spring, you can even find me up to my elbows in the Texas Christian Homeschool Prom every year for about two months.

Once August hits, our routine will be pretty set in stone with all of us dragging out of bed early and warming up our bleary eyes with math problems. I'm deeply ensconced in the lesson-planning phase of our homeschooling year, right now. My girls don't want to talk about it. They still have 3 weeks of virtual freedom. 

Li'l Bo Peep look-alike for Easter Egg Hunt
When I'm not writing in every spare moment, I'll probably be enjoying a movie or some games with the family. If I'm actually on my own, digital scrap-booking makes me smile, and of course reading. I spent years not having time to read, so now I inhale everything I can get my hands on. My sweet hubby got me a cool e-reader for Valentine's Day this year so I could keep up with my habit.

Let's see, what else . . . I'm a singer and I love singing worship music in the car with my girls. My boy has a great voice, too, but he doesn't fit in the car. I'm not real keen on country and western music. (I know, an oddity in the south) but I love the dance music of the 80's and the beach music of the 60's. I've done a lot of stage work, usually character roles like Ado Annie that can make people laugh. And I talk in funny voices from time to time. My friends laugh because I interpret my dogs expressions and yes, they both have their own personal voices.
One of my many favorite drivers, Kasey Kahne.

NASCAR holds the spot of my favorite sport, (Yes, it's a sport) but I'm also a Dallas Mavericks fan. I love taking pictures and the dream of a lifetime was when I got to be a photographer for a recent NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway. Oh, that was amazing! One of my articles is HERE.
Me on pit road at TMS - so totally cool!

I don't like going to a movie theater (can't stand to just sit and watch) or eating jalapenos, but I do like good movies and great Mexican food.

And the color green makes me happy, even though it tends to make me look sick when I wear it with my coloring.

That's me in a nutshell, as long as it isn't coconut - don't like that either!


What's something that most people don't know about you. Come on, share. Let's see who has the most amazing facts!

17 comments:

  1. So fun learning more about you! I love to sing praise and worship music in the car, too. Only I'm not a singer. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita and Barbara! I loved drifting through all the other A2Z blogs last night. SO MANY different ideas on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! Yes, that identity question is a tricky one, and we don't always find it in the right places. Speaking for myself, that is. :)

    Waving and smiling,

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda,
    You know, as women we always wear so many doggone hats that it's hard to pin down a specific identity. Perhaps we should accept the name of Sybil as an alter ego!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be fun to be you. From Lil Bo Peep to Nascar ? Wow! I-mpressive! Thanks for letting us join you via your intro. God Bless.

    Nancy K. Sullivan
    www.ASofterVoice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha... yes, the homeschooling thing is a whole different animal, isn't it?

    As for something most people don't know about me? Hmmm. After I watched the movie "Splash" I prayed that God would let me be a mermaid when I got to heaven... I guess we'll see! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niki, Ha!!! What a hoot!

    We do love homeschooling, have done it for 10 years now. I'm SO glad to have the avenues of the sports association! I've grown attached to volleyball, and I'll still go out every now and then to support HSAA on Football Friday nights!

    Blessings on you - especially with the mermaid thing. I'm still giggling on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LoL--sorry, I had to laugh at your SAHM comment. Isn't homschooling great? We love it, too. =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patty,
    Have absolutely loved it and the people we have met through it! My mom was concerned about socialization. HA! My kids are socialized out the wazoo!

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I already commented on this but must not have. Fun post! I was blessed to be homeschooled K-12. Love all the pictures and the glimpse of your life. :-)

    (p.s. can I admit that it's a little annoying to have the Bible Bowl video start automatically playing as soon as I open your page? I have slow internet so I tend to let several blogs load while I am reading a different one and it always is distracting and takes me a while to figure out what is talking. Hope you don't mind the feedback. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the feedback, Amy. I put it up while I was doing several posts for Bible Bowl and intended to take it down this week anyway. I had hoped that starting it automatically would draw attention to it, but I didn't intend it to be annoying. I appreciate the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed getting to know you a bit through this great post. My son just "graduated" from homeschool this year... I homeschooled him all the way through and we both loved it! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting, Shelley.

    My boy had some great teachers in his earliest years, but sweet hubby and I both felt God urging us to home school. We planned to start when he went into 3rd because I had taught that grade and older in public school and felt comfortable with it.

    But God had other plans, blessing us with precious twin girls that year - my dinky twinkies - so we put it off one more year.

    The first part of the year was great. Then we moved. Not so great.

    I think God that though. He knew that at the first sign of trouble I would have been tempted to run the boy right back to the awesome teachers he had enjoyed. But at his new school, the teachers weren't that great. Temptation to bolt removed.

    I've never looked back and never been sorry that we decided to homeschool nor that we've stayed with it. Especially nowadays with all of the great opportunities available. My kids lack for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by, Amy. Your blog article has stayed with me this week! Thanks for being a vessel of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...