
Thursday is the day I set aside for goofy characters. This brilliant group of young people was FULL of those!
To say that the
National Bible Bowl trip to
Cincinnati was fun would be a gross understatement.
Cincinnati Christian University sponsored a nacho party the first night in town. There's just nothing like watching teenagers play in bounce houses and race through an inflatable obstacle course.
Then, once the games were over for the week, the players all celebrated by tearing up their study materials and note cards. It's tradition!

Yes, each of these kids is a character, no doubt. But I want to focus on the red head in the middle of this picture.
Last week, I talked about a young man who showed grace in the team's loss, and dealt well with his teammate's illness and absence from many of the games. Now I want to tell you about that teammate.

This redhead, also shown below with the award the team won, was touted as one of the premier players in the nation this year. Stepping into large shoes, her brother actually one first place in this competition a few years ago, the first time in 26 years that a Texas team has won. The redhead dealt with health issues from the beginning of the summer, losing focus and energy, until she suddenly collapsed after a college meet at
Kentucky Christian University. She was moved to another hospital in West Virginia and closely observed. Meds were prescribed and high hopes ensued that this would be the end of it.

But it wasn't. She missed the rest of the college meets, forcing her team lower in the national standings, but flew out to join us in Cincinnati with her mom and play as many games as she felt capable of playing. Only playing a few games on the first two days since the games then were only for seeding for the real tournament, she saved her energy for the important games. She was ushered from room to room and building to building in a wheel chair, only standing and walking when absolutely necessary, but when she played, her sharp wit and quick reactions helped the team to its success. (It should be added, that while the redhead, the the boy in pink are the initial players for the team, the two gals next to the redhead serve as the bonus round players, filling in all the details and answering all of the questions after the initial ones secure the bonus.)

The team finished in tenth position, not a devastating blow considering the trials that had to be overcome. But the redhead isn't done, yet, with her problems.
Days after she returned home, she had another episode, a severe one. Almost 48 sleepless hours in the hospital for tests to try to figure out what in the world is causing this situation, hasn't uncovered anything as yet. And yet, the redhead posts these words on her Facebook page all this week and during her hospital stay:
- I'm forever grateful that you have been faithful to me, Lord. But for your grace.....
- All to Jesus, I surrender; all to Him I freely give. I will ever love and trust Him, in His presence daily live. I surrender all. I surrender all. All to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.
- Oh draw me near, and I'll run after you.
- But for your grace I could not be saved. But for your grace I would go my way. I'm forever grateful that you have been faithful to me, Lord.
- But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.
If that's not showing character worthy of any leading lady, I don't know what is!
Please pray for this redhead, an inspiring, brilliant tool in the hands of the Master. Pray that her anomaly will be solved and her health restored and pray for grace and comfort for her family.
Oh and just in case you think it's just the kids on the trip who are characters, I should probably enlighten you that they most assuredly come by their antics naturally!
Who is on your heart today in need of prayer? I'd love to add my voice to the Lord on their behalf.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting, Nelson, but I can't recommend your site. May your weekend be blessed though!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for posting this Marji! I am overwhelmed with pride (as if I had anything to do with it) in how all these students have responded to the challenges set before them this year. These students have lived out 1 Timothy 4 over and over this year IMHO. Still praying for God's Grace!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you liked it. You're right, all of the kids did an amazing job this year. I'm looking forward to what's coming.
ReplyDelete