I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Author or Writer

Carol J. Garvin had a post in her blog last week about whether writing was a vocation or avocation.  Well for me, it's been years of avocation, but I, like her example, couldn't justify spending too much time indulging my hobby, my fantasy world. After all, it stole precious moments away from my kids and hubby, my friends, and even activities at my church. How could I be okay with that?


Like anything else, it was a choice. I couldn’t escape feeling selfish each time I closed myself away with my pen and pad.

What's changed? Well, then it was indeed an avocation: a career I dreamed about, but didn’t anticipate.  I mean, I've always wanted to be on stage, too, but aside from civic and church theatre, I have neither the desire nor the ambition to explore the field further. Writing was like that, pure enjoyment, but no realistic expectations of actually making it any type of career.

The change is the little spark that God fanned into a full-blown bonfire. He illuminated me to the fact that my desire to write was something He, Himself, instilled into me. How amazing! The fact that He cares so intently on the tiny details of my life leaves me profoundly grateful and tears of humility escape as I write.

Psalm 37:4 says, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do it.” Once I realized the depth of this verse, the little flicker built into flames. I have to remember the prerequisite daily, though – delighting in, and committing to, my Redeemer. When I took Him at His word a couple of months back, enthusiasm continued to grow and my draft was finished in no time.

Am I an author? I don't think so.  I've read blogs that would disagree with me, but to me, an author has to have a book . . . well, yeah . . . and I do have one, but you would be hard-pressed to find it since it generally resides solely on my own little laptop. I think an author has to have a book that others can actually see and read for themselves. An author is who someone is, by accomplishment.

A writer, on the other hand, is what someone does, by vocation. I’m happy to be one, even without knowing what God has planned for this chapter.

If money and time didn’t constrain you, what would you wish to do more than anything else in the world?  My mom asked me that a little over a year ago. My answer without hesitation was to write and I guess that’s when I started to feel the burning for it in my heart.

How would you answer that question?

8 comments:

  1. I live by "commit your works to Him and He will establish your thoughts." I tend to agree with you on the author/writer. My book is not pubished, so I am a writer. When it's published, not if ;), then I will be an author.

    If I could do anything in the world? Write. Write. Write. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on your Jessica! I plan to do the tagging blog tomorrow! That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could do anything in the world, it would be writing.

    It's just what God put on my heart. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's always been my answer, too, Loree, but He had to push through my "squirrels" to make me realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so inspiring! I love hearing about people who don't just talk about what they want to do, they do it. Go you! Life's too short not to pursue your dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo, Marji! Glad to hear you've surrendered to the call to write! Continue to listen to that still, small voice and the Lord will continue to guide you. I look forward to reading your book!

    Thanks for stopping by Life Lessons! I appreciate your sweet words of encouragement! Have a wonderful week full of God's blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a touching post. :)
    I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't write. It makes me who I am, colors my world, and makes me feel I'm contributing. Some days I wonder, especially when a deadline looms and my family needs me, but in the end it's all good.

    I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey, Maria and Kathi,
    Thanks for your kind words. This was a hard post to write, well, actually it was easy to write, hard to make myself post! I so appreciate your encouragement!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...