I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The KEY!

Key While I've been treading water, I haven't felt that I'm really accomplishing my goals like I have in the past. I didn't set specific daily revision counts and wouldn't have met them if I had because I haven't been working in a daily manner on anything. Lack of consistency.

And consistency is KEY!

It's not like I've been inconsistent in everything. That's not the case. I've been posting a blog article everyday. I've gotten much better at visiting other blogs, though I'm still not where I'd like to be on
that. I'm consistent with my Bible study and my homeschooling classes. 

But this is a goal-focused article and there is definitely room for improvement. I want to Tweet better. I get to that window and think, "What am I about, today?" . . . I got nothing but cricket chirps. I can react off of what other folks say, but new topics don't bubble up at a whim. Likewise with Facebook. I'm part of an online Bible study. When I post there, I have no problem sharing my thoughts, but when faced with creating a clever or thought-provoking status - nada. I have to work for each one.

So I think my biggest goal is consistency for this week. Daily revision, and interaction on Twitter and Facebook, and I'm adding a new writing goal. I've gotten two ideas, one on top of the other. I need to start the writing on one of them if only to clear a path for the other one.

So I'm pleased. Not delighted, jumping up and down type of happy, but satisfied. And satisfied is GOOD!

What's been satisfying to you this week?


ROW80 is a blog hop of writers encouraging one another and providing accountability for their goals. Visit a few and share the experience. Or better yet, link your own goals and join us!

15 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best as you work on developing consistency--and those two new story ideas, Marji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keli. I can't write in my car when I'm driving across town to crit group, but tonight I talked through a couple of scenes for one of them onto a recorder app. That helps. I hate to waste time!

      Delete
  2. *hugs* on the consistency snags!

    When I get stuck on what to say in social media...I usually just make a comment then end it with a question. Like...

    "I'm in need of an awesome mystery/suspense book to read. Any suggestions?"

    It usually opens up the gates. If I don't get a response, I wasn't overly invested in the question so it doesn't leave me feeling like a failure. Does that make sense?

    I hope you have an awesome writing week!

    Keep Writing!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. While consistency is a key, Marji, I also think perseverance is as well. That is what will keep you coming back and working to improve on areas - like the balance of social media. I've found a new balance with Facebook of reading the status posts of others, liking and/or commenting where relevant and participating in some groups versus making myself do a status update each day or several throughout the day. If something comes to me that I want to share, I do, but I'm using FB more to build community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Habits really do tend to make or break you... I'm the same, I need targets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. . . consistency, that phantom of the shadows, how I do desire thee! ;) I've got problems in that area myself. I'm too easily distracted *bright shiny, bright shiny*. I know what you mean about Twitter. I've yet to figure out how to properly engage that media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agent support has been extremely rewarding for me lately.

    And yes, consistency is key. Somehow I rock out with it in my writing, but struggle as a parent.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to that agent support, Wendy. Haven't pushed that realm very hard, yet, but I look forward to having a partner in this venture.

      Delete
  7. Consistency is so important. This whole thing - writing, querying, social media, fresh ideas, and so on - is hard.

    We must stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I got the idea that this career would be easy! It's a good thing that I love working it!

      Delete
  8. Marji - I used to have consistency issues, as well. Sometimes I would go months without writing.

    Once I found the joy in writing, that changed. Now, writing is the thing I look forward to in my odd moments, the balm that soothes me when i am upset.

    Are there ways to inject more fun into your writing time? Write somewhere different? Write something out of the ordinary? Meet up with a writing friend for coffee and word sprints? Something totally different than any of these ideas?

    I break up my daytime writing with cleaning sprints or time spent with the kids. It recharges me and gives my brain space to simmer with ideas.....I do longer stretched at night, when things settle down.

    I hope you find what works for you, because I enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both sorry to hear things have been so challenging of late and that you're finding your stride again, Marji. If it's getting inspire, like Dawn said, you could use the "question format" for a status message. It doesn't always work, but sometimes you come up with real gems. You could also use places like One Minute Writer and the prompt. Use the Test Mile that Kait Nolan posted about at the beginning of the ROW. Sometimes you just need to "get the words out of your head" in order to write the story.

    Whatever works for you, I hope you find it and have the time and chance to embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great ideas! So appreciate your time in sharing them with me, too! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...