I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Writing Tip: Ellipses


This week’s writing tip is about ellipses, the dot-dot-dots that are often added to writing. To me, the ellipsis is a mood-maker for the sentence. It stutters showing confusion or intense emotion. It can also drift into silence, indicating a wandering mind or distracted situation.

The correct way to write an ellipsis is to space at the end of the word that precedes the mark, then add the three periods, and follow them

with another space before the next word. *** Okay, I'd been corrected this summer by an author who knows her stuff, but I've learned that according to Chicago Manual of Style that spaces are correct between the periods. Looking like this . . . thanks David!*** If there is no next word because the conversation ebbs in the middle of a sentence, the final period is all that is necessary.

Here are examples of the two situations described:
“What do you mean he isn’t there? Where could he . . .  I mean, are you sure?”
 “Like a cloud, dancing across the water. That’s what I feel like. So very sleepy. I could just
      drift off without . . . ”
Another use of an ellipsis is in the case of an interruption. Sometimes the topic never comes back around as in this example.
“Whatever the noise was it was awfully loud. I thought the sky was about . . . ”
“Did you hear that?” Chris’s outburst filled the room as he ran in, his muddy boots spraying
       clumps of dirt all over Ma’s rug.
Sometimes the interruption, like part of an argument, has a finish to it.
“All I know is I sat here calmly reading and you . . . ”
“I didn’t do anything except walk into the room.”
“. . . you demanded my attention with every stomp and sigh. Okay, what do you want?”
In that case, as you can see, the ellipsis ends the first section of the interruption and begins the second half of that sentence. It wouldn’t work if more than just the interruption itself was stuck into the section. At that point, the first part should be entirely restated and then finished.

I double checked my data with my new copy of the Chicago Manual of Style! (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE getting presents!) And with some of you guys looking over my shoulder, I know we're gonna make sure the information is right!

Do you have any other examples of ellipsis use?

Blessings!

7 comments:

  1. Are you certain of this? I was taught to put spaces between the dots, and if they followed a complete sentence to precede the dots with a normal period, making four dots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're good, David. So glad you're keeping me honest. I went back to Chicago Style and you're right about the spaces in between the dot. They do say that the "the single-glyph three-dot ellipsis character" is acceptable, but that it would be changed by editors following Chicago style.

    As far as the period at the end, that's true if the sentence ends but there is more to the quote. In the example above, the sentences weren't complete. That situation is found on 639 of Chicago Manual of Style under the Ellipsis 13.53. (Yes, I had to go look it up and make sure - just LOVE my new book!)

    Thanks for setting me straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is helpful. I didn't know about the name of this punctuation, ellipses, or that spaces are needed between the periods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually spoke to an editor about this recently, and they said the ... was okay. They also said . . . was okay. There is a third option, the one I was taught in school, which is my preferred option... just like that. Attached to the previous sentance. The editor said it was oaky to use any option, as long as you are consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was only acceptable in quotes when you leave a bit out "For God so loved the world . . . and whosoever believeth on Him shall not perish" Like that. It seems like most of those examples would not fit into an essay ;) Being included in dialogue and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben, you're right, my examples were for creative writing. The same rules apply to research, though. Ellipses will always be used in some type of quotation, either dialogue or direct quote from a research source.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...