Resolutions, to me, are lifestyle changes. Attempting a resolution is like deciding to change a career, or a daily pattern, or a name. Oh wait, I did
all that this year. LOL! But if resolutions are alterations in habits and the way I live my life, goals are the practical steps that I use to get me there.
So if I have a goal to avoid white flour products and another one to walk three times per week, those together with getting 8 hours of sleep each night (yeah, right) will work me toward a weight-loss or get healthy resolution.
ROW 80 works perfectly into this time of year. I'm not much of a resolution maker, but I love making goals with the support that I've met through the program, Round of Words in 80 Days. Not only can I make my writing goals - feasible and dreaming ones - I can also make life goals about exercise, blogging, and other projects.
I'm not nearly as prepared as I was during the last round, but then a new novel isn't part of my goals, yet. I have one that needs drastic revisions and another that begs for some wordsmithing. I hope to complete revisions on both by March.
In addition, I'm working on a website that requires blog articles and research on medieval and renaissance customs, stories, and daily life. Balancing that with my teaching and exercise goals fills my plate completely.
My goals for the next 80 days, at least as a start, include:
- Get two of my novels ready to share.*
- Work through Susan May Warren's Book Buddy set of books.
- Read 8 novels and review each.*
- Blog at least 4 times per week.
- Create at least 1 vlog per month.
- Add at least 1 new blog article to a medieval website per week.
- Catch up and maintain grading.
- Tweet and Facebook at least twice daily.
- Visit 2-3 blogs per weekday.
- Spend 1 1/2 hours in exercise per week.
- Eliminate fast food.*
*So what does your slate of resolutions or goals include? Which ones have you the most worried? I have a few that are worrying me and I starred them above.


I plan to make more time for writing, exercise, and doing more of my favorite things.
ReplyDeletegood luck with them all, esp those with the stars.
ReplyDeleteLofty goals indeed!
ReplyDeleteGood luck.
Good luck with your goals!
ReplyDeleteCrystal
resolutions never seem to work for me but I am at last getting the idea of planning (goals) I usually aim to0 high - but I was taught that as a girl - always aim for the stars and if I never get there I will have seen soome amazing things on the way - good luck with your goals
ReplyDeleteGreat goals, Marji. I think sometimes posting/considering goals that you find troublesome in a public forum can be empowering. I hope it is for you. And kudos for the "Eliminate fast food"! I should try that one, but not there yet.
ReplyDeleteHi, Marji! Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteI think we all have one or two of our goals that are frightening when we consider the work it will take to achieve them. But it's good to step out of that comfort zone and go for it! Good for you in naming them.
I'm worried about finishing my ending and editing by mid-February on my current WIP. It's a fast pace, but I want to publish by the end of March.
I have to tell you this! A few months ago, I joined CrossFit (a workout/fitness program). Not only do I feel great, I'm seeing changes in my strength and body at a rapid pace. But that's not the best part.... It's built my confidence so very much. I hope that spurs you on in your fitness/health goals.
Best of Luck!
Quitting fast food is hard, but the longer you go the easier it is! Good luck getting everything done! One of my goals this year is to read one screenplay a week and watch one movie, something I've stopped doing since leaving LA and I'm a little nervous getting back into it.
ReplyDeleteYou can totally do it tho!
This is a great list of goals. Best of luck. give us an update after 80 days ...
ReplyDeleteYou are going strong in the New Year, Marji! You need to write a lifecoaching book for the rest of us :-)
ReplyDeleteCan you tell us more about the medieval research website? The history buff in me is all ears. I think it would help tremendously with future writing projects.
I'm not doing resolutions this year, as I'll explain further in my blog post tomorrow. I see them more as life principles to work on for 2012, lol.
Happy New Year!
Hooray for new years and fresh starts! I set some goals for myself overall, and then specific writing goals for 2012 and ROW80. I love how supportive and flexible the ROW80 goal setting is...it can cover just about anything! Best of luck to you this round, Marji!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jess, and thanks everyone for the encouragement. I just LOVE that about this group!
ReplyDeleteBrandi, I've found tons of info just from googling medieval topics like feudal system, heraldry, etc. The prom blog I'm working on is TexasCHP.blogspot.com the Texas Christian Homeschool Prom. It's a pretty big, hairy deal!
That's some mighty goals Marji! Yet I know you will do it and do it well. The website sounds interesting, so let us all know when we can visit it. Good luck, dear Marji.
ReplyDeleteI like your last one!
ReplyDeleteGreat goals. Quitting fast food is a good one. All the sodium sticks with me longer than a couple days so I'm right there with you. Happy 2012!
ReplyDeleteNice list!
ReplyDeleteI should cut fast-food and exercise more too lol
Good luck!