... Charm.
Have you ever read a book where the main character was nothing but
perfection? Everything about her was charm and goodness. How did Scarlett
O’Hara put it? “Nothing but a pasty-faced little goody-goody,” or something
like that.
I have to confess, I’m with her. When my town put on the musical “Oklahoma,”
I didn’t want the part of Laurie. Too normal – too goody-goody. I wanted to be
Ado-Annie, the girl who cain’t say no. She had character and spunk. The same
was with the musical “Guys and Dolls.” I didn’t want Jean Simmons roll of the starched and proper missionary. I wanted to play Adelaide, the nightclub singer. That sounds pretty shameful, but in truth I am a goody-goody. I think I just go for the parts that are most unlike me. Easier to play them as roles when they aren’t so close to home.
was with the musical “Guys and Dolls.” I didn’t want Jean Simmons roll of the starched and proper missionary. I wanted to play Adelaide, the nightclub singer. That sounds pretty shameful, but in truth I am a goody-goody. I think I just go for the parts that are most unlike me. Easier to play them as roles when they aren’t so close to home.
But characters in books have to have some charm. Something about them
that is sweet or touching. Even if the charm encompasses some type of flaw, it
needs to be there.
Take Scarlett O’Hara for instance. On the surface, her charm was all
fake, the coquettish behavior perfected by southern belles of the era. But as
the book/movie progressed, her vulnerability gave her a type of charm. For all
of her strength and experience, she still needed Rhett, needed someone to care
about her. Without that need, could she have been a likable character at all?
Another example is Han Solo in Star Wars. Okay, he was great-looking
and funny, but he was also arrogant to the extreme, made doubly bad because he
wasn’t very successful or smart. A loud-mouthed, ruthless, crook was what he
really was, who cared nothing for anyone beyond his own ship. That is, until
Leia came aboard. Zing! Suddenly sparks of charm ignite from his attraction to
her. Like a little boy who pulls pigtails, he spars with her. His not knowing
how to show her he cares makes him so utterly charming. Again, in the
midst of a short-coming.
Can you think of other characters from popular books or movies who
start off rather unlikable and end up with a distinctive charm?

And yet I picture you in real life as the sweet, lovable character you don't want to play.
ReplyDeleteThat's just it. Way too close to home. It's so much easier to play the comic relief as long as it doesn't go too far afield! I've also played a bear, a British Maid, a hick waitress, and a woman stuck in the looney bin in Harvey.
ReplyDeleteI loved this. You are right, many of the characters we are attracted to start out being the bad boy, but they have to have some redeeming attributes, some charm about them, or we wouldn't be drawn to them. My mind just went to "Happy Days." Richie was the goody-goody. Fonz the tough guy. The girls swooned at his feet. Yet, with Mrs. C. he was putty. He became the little boy, needing a mother's love. You had to love that. It made him all the more desirable.
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to play the characters who can't say no.
ReplyDeleteSidney Carton from Tale of Two Cities. He's a drunken rude lawyer who sacrifices himself at the end, at the guillotine, for the woman he loved.
Ooh, great post! I've done a little acting, too (although not for a long time, outside of short skits, anyway). I always preferred playing the more "colorful" characters, too. And, you're right. The combination of charm along with flaws makes a great character! I especially love it when a writer pulls off a bit of (believable) charm in a villain! :-)
ReplyDeleteAh. I loved being involved in theater! I played Abby in Arsenic and Old Lace, and Kate in the Taming of the Shrew. Both definitely flawed, yet lovable!
ReplyDeleteFun post and a lot of thought put into it!
ReplyDelete