I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Rest of HisStory - Gifts

Twelve Days of Christmas

You have to understand. I have four separate Christmases every year. Not an issue with me, though! I LOVE Christmas. Have I already said that? So my carols continue after Christmas simply because I've still got some Christmasing to do.

This song speaks of the European - primarily Catholic - traditions of celebrating certain feasts involving memorials to some of the earliest saints. The celebration actually starts on December 25 and extends until January 6 with it's roots in our
visit from Emmanuel.

Some historians believe that the song was used to help young Catholics remember the tenets of their faith during a time when Catholicism was opposed. They attribute the days like this:

1 Partridge in a Pear Tree = Jesus Christ, Son of God, as the protector .
2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity or the Trinity
4 Colley Birds = The Four Gospels, or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings = The Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament
6 Geese A-Laying = Six Days of Creation
7 Swans A-Swimming = Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
8 Maids A-Milking = The eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = Nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-Leaping = The Ten Commandments
11 Pipers Piping = The eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming = The twelve points of doctrine n the Apostles Creed.

I don't really know if the information above is true, though I've found it at several sources. Snopes says, "No," but they also disregard the story of the Candy Cane and any other Christmas things that reflect Christian meanings on, what the writers there, seem to consider solely a fun and magical time.

Okay, so maybe it doesn't fall into the specific items that have been suggested. Still, Christ has been the central figure in Christmas up until the 20th century. It's not too much of a stretch to believe that the gifts had something to do with the high points of Christianity. While the timing of the holiday stems from pagan festivals, the core of the celebration is a grateful heart for the Heavenly Father who showed us such love through the gift of His Son, Emmanual - God, who dwells with us. How cool is that?

And at the same time, I love this version of this song. It's just fun!

1 comment:

  1. Four Christmases? I loooove Christmas!

    Thanks for sharing a little history. Enjoyed it!
    Happy New Years!!
    2012 is going to be THE year!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...