Mykola Dmytrovych Leontovych composed this haunting melody in 1916. Originally a Ukrainian folk song about a sparrow and the fruitful year that lies ahead of a family, it was first played on New Year's Eve (then, January 13 according to the Julian calendar). An appropriate choice for the last song of my series, right before New Year's Eve!
The song was first heard in the US at Carnegie Hall at a
performance in 1921. Peter J. Wilhousky penned lyrics to Leontovych's melody in 1936, making it distinctly Christmas-flavored.
Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells, all seem to say, "Throw cares away."
Christmas is here bringing good cheer to young and old, meek and the bold.
"Ding-dong, ding-dong," that is their song, with joyful ring all caroling.
One seems to hear words of good cheer from everywhere filling the air.
Oh! How they pound, raising the sound, o'er hill and dale, telling the tale.
Gaily they ring while people sing song of good cheer, "Christmas is here!"
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas. Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas.
On, on they send, on without end, their joyful tone to every home.
This song doesn't have a strong message about Christ, but I include it in my group because it's one of my favorite to sing. I actually know all of the four parts, though the bass gets a little too low for me! LOL! The main reason I like it so much is because of the challenge it offers to those attempting to sing it. I LOVE a challenge, especially when it comes to music! Below is a great version from Straight, No Chaser. One of their serious songs, though all of their music is done extremely well!
May your year begin with amazing blessings!
thanks for sharing loved seeing and hearing those guys singing...
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
I recently learned this with some friends. It's so fun to know!
ReplyDelete