I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Night Before


Twas the night afore Christmas,
twixt ridgeback and holler.
Not a critter was a twitchin'
nary a hog dast to waller.
Each keerful darnt stocking were nailt to the chimbley.
A'hopin' that Santa'd be extra-bit friendly.

***
I know I said I would vlog this post, but I decided, since I'm supposed to be
chatting about Christmas traditions, that I should spend a little more time making some instead of writing about them. Yeah, I have a tendency to throw myself fully into projects.

If I was in the middle of a book, I wouldn't as easily set it aside, but revisions make the blow-off a little easier. As yet, I don't have anyone breathing down my neck. A blessing of still being an aspiring author!



So I had planned to share a little of the James Rice illustrated book "Hillbilly Night Afore Christmas." That's what you see at the top. Yep, I was gonna do some granny glasses and a mop cap, too. But, alas, you'll have to see that another time.

I wanted to share part of the poem, but this absolute gem is readily available from Pelican Publishing Company on Amazon. It is my all-time FAVORITE version of the poem. I read it every year to my classes when I taught elementary. I'd also read some of Rice's others (He has tons!) like Cajun Night Before Christmas, Cowboy Night Before Christmas, of course the Texas Night Before Christmas.

A set of posters, with the original by C. Clement Moore, adorned the walls of my classrooms. My students' writing assignment for the last week before the break was always to use Moore's template to create a personal night before Christmas. One that would focus on their own family and traditions.

I got some true treasures! One had Santa surfing into Hawaii. Another had him slipping under the door because the family didn't have a fireplace. One creative student wrote a puppy night-before story. I even did one - never asked my kids to do something that I wouldn't do myself, especially in the realm of writing! Mine was a teacher's night before Christmas break - something near and dear to my heart! LOL!

So I submit a challenge to ya'll. Even if it's only a couple of lines, write up some verses like C. Clement Moore highlighting your own story.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I had no idea that such different fun versions existed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this delightful post. "write up some verses like C. Clement Moore highlighting your own story." What a grand idea! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a surprise! I didn't know about those versions.
    Vlog this post? I thought that was for next year. :) I didn't vlog it either.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pelican Publishing has a lot more listed under James Rice's name!

    Oh, and Diana I'd just noted in my Saturday "Coming Next" article that today would have another VLog. But I'm reneging. Priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, what a great idea! I like your version. Pretty clever! I'll give it some thought, but I can't promise talent, lol. Poetry was never my strong point. ;-) Merry Christmas, Marji!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what fun!

    Twas the night before Christmas
    When all through the farm,
    Not a creature was stirring
    That meant any harm.

    The stockings were hung
    from the rafters with care
    In hopes the dog and cats
    Couldn't find them up there.

    Um...That's it for tonight, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I would've LOVED hearing you read that Hillbilly Night Before Christmas!! LoL. FUN!!! I had no idea there were so many variations like that!! =]

    Valerie, that's great!! =]

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...