I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

This is This and That is That

After I explained "who is what" in yesterday's post, I was reminded about how Flounder from Disney's The Little Mermaid, (Ariel's best friend) got himself and Ariel in trouble when he tried to explain things. It's where I got my post title.

Today is another ROW80 check-in, and I promised to explain some things that I've been trying. Let me give you a little background.

Back when I was in school, I was easily distracted. My third-grade teacher, WHO I LOVED, called it rabbit chasing. Today, they would likely call it ADD. Just in case you didn't know, it's not a kid's problem. It's something folks will deal with their entire lives.

I still get distracted, going into the kitchen for something and completely forgetting about it because I stopped to get the doggies water and folded a load of laundry, answered the phone and started
dinner. I get back to my office and realize that I forgot the soda I needed in the first place.

I'll do the same thing online. Think of a term I need to research and open my browser to find Facebook hollers and tweets I need to see. I'll follow a few more links and find an hour has past before I get to my original task - if I remember it.

So I did some preparation this weekend. First, I used Google Calendar. I've read some blogs and posts about writers who purchase a daily calendar and log in their actual writing time as well as other time-wasters. I thought that sounded pretty wise, though I'm not sure I want to admit to time wasters! Still, I'm not one for money wasting either so instead of a purchase, I decided to use my calendar. I scheduled my appointments and schooling time, then filled in with media and writing sections, even adding a home-blessing hour because my poor house is taking a beating now that I'm spending so much time with trusty laptop.

As I scheduled though, I was mindful of sectioning my media time and lumping the writing. Writing all my words, all at once is by far the easiest way to do things, especially if I'm writing everyday. On the other hand, I don't want to lump all my media time together. I need one pile to blog-trot, but I need a couple of other slots to do some tweeting and facebooking, spreading it out through the day. The graphic shows my pink regular activities - a personal calendar - while the blue shows my writing activities - a separate business calendar. The yellow at the top is a family calendar. (I even keep the girls' schedules, in different colors on their own calendars so that my final monthly one is a full rainbow! :)

The other tactic I tried freed up my online time and organized my visiting. I sorted the blogs I typically trot through. (By the way, I like the word blog-trot. Made it up myself to describe the sites I like to routinely visit.) I must visit 50 blogs every week, but most of them are just links I find here and there. I've saved a few that I really like. (Most of my faves are loaded at the left column and are worth a visit!) But I don't often remember to go. So I created a bookmark folder that stays on my bar at the top of my browser page. The folder is simply labeled Blog Visits and inside are six other folders, one for each weekday and a collective one for the weekend. Inside each day's folder I've saved the blogs that I'll visit that day. That way, I get around to all the blogs I like. I'm regularly commenting, but not overwhelming any particular day.

My plan seems to be working. I've stayed with my word count goals this week and set a timer when I did my social media. (It's SO easy to get distracted!) When done, I closed my browser and put in earbuds to avoid barking dogs, chatter, ringing phones, etc. I've found that I can write to classical music as long as it isn't playing too loud, but nothing with words. I tried to use swing, but my feet wouldn't stay still. I might need to download some movie soundtracks. Any suggestions?

I've also implemented a little hanging picture for my office door. When it's on the knob, no knocking or interruptions except for the emergency type. I use it sparingly, when I'm really struggling, but it works!

What time management, organization, or discipline ideas work for you?

15 comments:

  1. Kudos on reaching your word count goals, Marji. Sounds like you've found some great tools to help. One that works well for me is Google Reader. Before I found that application, I had a hard time getting a handle on my blog reading.

    I really like the way you refer to the time you spend on housework as your "home-blessing hour." I'm going to adopt that. My house will be happy since it could use a huge blessing about now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Keli. I like your "home blessing." Very cool. I also love your blog visit idea. How do you do that? I'm so techy-challenged. I feel overwhelmed at all the blogs I read. I like them all, but there are just so many great ones, I can't get to them all in one day and then if I skip a day I forget and don't read them at all. :(

    Love how organized you've become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to check into my Google reader. I know I have one because it asks me questions from time to time. Sort of like an extra kid.

    I can't claim the Home-blessing hour. That is a flylady phrase. LOVE HER! Twitter @flylady and I think her website is still flylady.com

    Thanks for coming by, Keli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    Your browser has a bookmark or a favorite function to save webpages and you can choose where you save them, just like a document. I stick the visit folder in the top of my favorite file - for Google chrome, it's a bar at the top of my window - and use it as a pull-down menu each day. Also, when I set it up, I visited the blogs, to see which day I wanted to save it on. Doesn't mean I won't go on others, just that I WILL go on that one.

    Organization to me is survival. Can't create with clutter in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrible at organization; the only thing that really works for me is simply not letting myself sleep unless I've finished my goals! How I get there usually varies. I'm a pretty big rabbit chaser myself (and I adore that phrase), so I have a weird system that I follow that I've completely given up on trying to explain to people because it only seems to make sense to me. But it gets stuff done....for the most part.

    Sometimes I'll do a list, but anything past that, I just get overwhelmed by the micromanaging feel and stress myself out. I'm always impressed with people who can utilize these sorts of tools without driving themselves crazy.

    I tend to just listen to Pandora when I'm working; my music tastes are just as ADD as the rest of me. But, as far as movie soundtracks go, I don't think you can ever go wrong with the first Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack. Great stuff in there! So I guess that'd be the first suggestion that popped into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion LS. I actually work BEST in total silence, but with a house full of dogs and kids - yeah, right. I'll try PotC soundtrack! It should get my suspense juices going, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never got used to using calendars, I just can't figure out "time", I've been using a task manager instead which is keeping me focused. Never thought about organising blog visits, may have to play around with that over the weekend. I don't like noise either but our house is pretty tame. Nice job on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on that time management! It'll take some time to get in the rhythm but I swear by it. I'm the same way with music- no words. I was going to mention POTC but I see someone beat me to it! Well then, I'd recommend these to get you started: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Sorcerer's Apprentice and Indiana Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting. And thanks for the other movie suggestions, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have to try the google calendar. I laughed when I read "chasing rabbits," I have "poofy dog" syndrome. Even my cowrokers use that: "What was I doing, oh man, poofy dog..."

    I like to write at night in long hand, the blank page doesn't intimidate me with a pen in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit, Amy, give me a pen and legal tablet anytime! But for efficiency's sake, I'm trying to like the computer. Do love the fact that I can close my eyes and visualize a scene while typing it up. Can't do that with a notepad very well - gets messy!

    Love the "Poofy dog!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant, Marji. Patty and I were talking about how in the world did you get all the stuff done that you do.
    I love Flylady too, and try to follow the zones and home blessing hour. But like most stuff, it all gets scattered in my craziness.
    I'm going to check out the google calendar. At least that would be something I can even check from my phone. I have a dinosaur one that I carry in my purse and I like that I can "see" what's going on, but keeping track of it is difficult.

    Great ideas chicky!!
    ;0)
    PS: I love, love, love how you keep up with blog visits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You amaze me, Marji.
    Good idea on the blog visit.
    I am going to have to do something to make myself more productive. I am sure God didn't give me all these stories to waste.
    Thanks for the ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, Marji! You're always on a roll :-)

    I have writing spells where I can get 10 pages down in a day. Other times I can only do 1 if I'm lucky. To combat the extremes, I make myself sit down for an hour and write nonstop (no rereading!), take a break, and then write some more for another hour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great practice, Brandi!

    Thanks Jackie - you're so encouraging! And Patty, you're absolutely right! He gave you all of them so I could read them! :) And I'm gonna be right there cheering you on when they publish! Who knows, I might even dress up like Victoria! HA!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...