I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quiet

Well into the second half of the alphabet, I know I have my scariest letters ahead of me. Q is not one of those.

My word for the day is quiet. Shhhhhhhh . . .  And I had this clever little blurb to post, but then I started thinking about the word.

There are LOTS of types of quiet!
Shhhhhhhh . . .


It can mean peaceful and serene with water laughter and insect sounds. It can be a description for a person who doesn't talk much. It can also mean silent, like when the electricity shuts off and fans, music, and air conditioning stops. Oh and it can be that glorious time when all the kids have found a few hours to do something somewhere else. Do I hear a Grandmamma calling? Shhhhhhhhh . . .



Psalms 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God." Russ Taff, with The Imperials sang, "Surrounded by the cares of life, situations rise. They press against my soul. Desperate thoughts have blocked me in. Feels like I may lose control. A voice from somewhere inside me brings comfort, fills my heart with courage and lets me know that everything will be alright. I hear Him say, 'Be still my soul He is God. Stand quietly. He is Lord.' If God is for me who can be against me? Be still my soul. He is Lord."

The Lord has been teaching me a lot lately about being quiet, listening to His voice. I confess, I'm not very good at it. I'd hope to learn this lesson in patience that He has for me quickly. Yeah, I want patience quickly. I said that! Instead He's teaching me peace, resting in the quiet of His arms, and being in awe of Him and what He's doing now and going to do in my life.

Being quiet, watching and praying, has its own challenges. Through this test, instead, I find I'd rather throw myself into my work, forgetting the troubles that surround me. Maybe that's why I haven't passed?

The protagonist in my book isn't good at being quiet, either, shutting herself off from others and her memories by becoming a workaholic. I wonder if I reflected my tendencies onto her. Poor thing.

Am I enjoying this lesson? No. Probably because I haven't learned it yet. Still, each new day dawns with new hope. God does not leave His children comfortless. May He be glorified in my learning His lesson and through all the days of His teaching it.

Shhhhhhh . . .

What is your definition of quiet? Is it shy, silent, peaceful? Does it give you good or bad feelings?

19 comments:

  1. I have trouble with the "be still" part, too! I find that letting my hands do something not-so-still like needlepoint will sometimes let my brain be a little more focused and mindful.

    (btw, the cover of The Doctor's Lady caught my eye. Looks like an interesting book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being still before God is something I'm working on. When I take time to be still before Him it keeps me centered and focused. Thanks for this inspirational post, LOVE the song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm. My favorite way to define "quiet" is from Psalms, "I have quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother." At peace on the inside is SO precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the video! Never thought about the various versions of quiet. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That song has been an ever-present reminder to me for almost 30 years! And I love Russ Taff's voice!

    Thanks for the comments, gals. Niki, I love your definition from Psalms.

    Sparrow, I used to do the mindless things like crochet. But then it became scrapbooking or logic problems or other things that required my actual attention. I don't know if I was born ADD, but I have sure developed it! Probably from watching children out of the corners of my eyes. So I still struggle with the being still part, but will keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is teaching me what it means to have a gentle, quiet spirit. Although I'm quiet by nature, inside my brain is buzzing endlessly with daily tasks, worries, etc. I'm learning there is a difference between silent quiet and peaceful quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are right on, Brandi. I have such a hard time calming my mind down, stopping my whining to just LISTEN and CRAVE what He wants to tell me. But then, we're all a work in progress. Thankfully, the Potter never tires of His works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so hard to get quiet. Keep the mind from roaring. Our modern lifestyle is not good for a quiet life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, and it's far too easy to find distractions.

    BTW, enjoyed "chatting" tonight! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I think of Quiet I think of the days following 9-11. I live near an airfield base and the St. Louis airport is not far from here. The days after the towers fell there were no planes in the sky. I hadn't realized how accustomed I'd become to the sound until they weren't buzzing overhead.
    It was an eerie quiet. I don't want to experience that ever again.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked that verse up just earlier this week. Still needing it...thank you for confirming it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good friend of mine once told me about prayer: "When you are good friends with someone, do you do all the talking? or do you listen just as much, if not more, than you speak? If you have a personal relationship with God, when you talk with Him, you should listen to Him just as much as you talk to Him"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Marji! Love Psalm 46:10! I like the way you described 'quiet' as "peaceful and serene with water laughter and insect sounds." The thought of water laughing brings a smile to my face. I like to do my morning quiet time in our screen room where I can hear the gentle gurgle of the creek out front. Very peaceful and quiet indeed! God bless you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben, Love that explanation!

    I don't have a stream, Maria, but I have a fish tank that's kinda low on water right now so I can hear it in my office. Does it count? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quiet--true quiet--is so foreign to most of us it is very difficult. I like your fish tank note, lol. We don't have any nearby streams either, but have a fountain we love to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by, Shelley. I agree. I went outside before dawn the other day, on a Saturday, and didn't even hear the freeway near our house. Talk about silent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh boy. You have NO idea just how many time this verse has come across my path in the last two weeks. I've lost count. I think God is trying to say something to me...

    Thanks, Marji.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I always find when God wants to get something across to me, he'll work it like an everpresent billboard!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...