I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Interview with Author, Jody Hedlund


Author, Jody Hedlund
Today you're in for a treat with a visit from Author, Jody Hedlund

I've gotten to enjoy a few treats from this amazing lady. The first was when I happened onto her blog, FULL of ideas, advice, and insight into the writing and publishing biz. I've learned so much!

The second treat was when I decided to take the plunge and read a historical fiction. I hadn't read anything historical since Jane Austen's books started being made into movies, but that was over a decade ago. I chose Jody's debut book, The Preacher's Bride and learned that I like historicals! Who'd have thought?

The third treat was getting to prepare for this interview. I've gotten the chance to know a bit more about Jody and have enjoyed peeking into her world. But the book itself was the biggest treat of all. Okay, so I LIKE
historicals, but I LOVED this book! Couldn't put it down! 

And the best part is, I had Jody at hand to ask her some questions about her life and the details behind The Doctor's Lady. How cool is that?

The characters in this book are extraordinarily deep. What was the inspiration behind The Doctor’s Lady?

This book is inspired by the true life story of Narcissa Whitman, the first white woman to brave the dangers of overland trail and travel west. In 1836, she married Dr. Whitman, and then the next day left her childhood home and would never return for the purpose of starting a mission among the Nez Perce natives.

It was my hope in this story to bring Narcissa Whitman to life. This heroic woman has often been ignored and at times even disparaged. In reality, she exuded incredible courage to attempt a trip many proclaimed foolishly dangerous. It was called an “unheard-of-journey for females.” Because of her willingness to brave the unknown, she led the way for the many women who would follow in her footsteps in what would later become known as the Oregon Trail.

Kevin Costner, in Dances with Wolves, would be perfect for Eli Ernest


I felt like I could picture Eli and Priscilla. What Hollywood movie stars would you cast for your characters? 

Dr. Eli Ernest needs to be played by Kevin Costner whose rugged, scruffy look in Dances With Wolves is exactly the way I envisioned Dr. Ernest. Eli is a man full of passion and unafraid of danger, and yet willing to learn and grow through the challenges he faces.

Gwyneth Paltrow as in Emma is the essence of Priscilla White.


Priscilla White needs to be played by Gwyneth Paltrow. Priscilla is a beautiful and elegant lady with Gwyneth’s looks in Emma. She’s not physically strong and she’s a bit naïve, and yet she’s determined and courageous.

I know a lot of your research came from the journal of Narcissa Whitman. Was there any particular event from Narcissa's journal that you wished you could've added to the story?

I picked most of the adventurous and exciting details to include in the book, but for the sake of brevity and clarity within the story, I had to leave out a number of stops and other people involved in the journey. I wish I would have had more time to include their slight detour to visit Soday Springs and Narcissa's fascination with the hot springs. It really highlighted her appreciation of nature. She said this, "Boiled a bit of dry salmon in one of them in five minutes." I can only imagine what fun it was to experience something like that for the first time!

Your descriptions made me feel like I was actually on the trip. Did you travel the route as part of your research?

No! I would have LOVED to! In fact, I tried to convince my family that would be a fun family vacation! But they weren't too thrilled about the idea of taking that long of a road trip. Sigh! So, I really relied a great deal on my research, the diary, and my past experiences of living out west and vacationing there.

Because I'm a homeschooling mom, my interest about Jody peaked when I learned she was one as well. With my oldest in college, I only have three at home and struggle for uninterrupted opportunities. As a homeschooling mom of five children, how do you manage to find time to write?

It’s definitely not easy. I feel like I have two very full time jobs! But like any other writer trying to balance dual careers or multiple responsibilities, I’ve had to look for ways to make it work. I’ve scaled-back on outside commitments and simplified home life as much as possible. I also stick to a very strict writing schedule when I’m in first draft mode. I block out writing time and don’t let myself go to bed at night unless I get in my daily word count.

This story moved and challenged me with Priscilla's attitudes and revelations. What message do you hope readers take away when they complete this book?

I hope readers are inspired to try new things and brave dangerous prospects in the pursuit of their dreams. When we go after the things that matter, we’ll have to take risks and we’ll experience setbacks and obstacles. But if we persevere, we can reach our destination and do great things along the way.


Enter the Be A Trailblazer Contest!
Make sure you visit Jody's site to enter her contest. I sure did! Would LOVE to win the antique trunk like the one Priscilla had to leave behind on the trail and all the other goodies that go with it! 


And while we're talking about contests, one of my blog followers will receive a copy of the book for their very own, direct from Jody! You can follow my blog through the blogger widget on the left column or the Facebook Networked blogs on the right hand of the column. Just make sure that the email attached to your name is accurate!  I'll be choosing a winner on September 27 and will email that person.


I certainly appreciate Jody for letting me pick her brain about The Doctor's Lady and her writing! Make sure you get a copy of your own!

What part of this story are you most interested in?

5 comments:

  1. Kevin Costner and Gwyneth Paltrow would make a dynamic couple for your (would be)movie. I have read Narcissa's journal and loved it. I'm sure I will love your book as well. Jody, I admire the fact you homeschool your kids and find time to write! You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Haley! Wouldn't it be great to have Kevin and Gwyneth star in a movie for your book?! :-) A girl can dream, can't she? And Narcissa's journal was fascinating, spelling mistakes and all! I love reading real eye-witness accounts of events!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jody, I had not heard of Narcissa Whitman until now and I would love to read a story based on her life. I read The Preachers Bride and really enjoyed the book. I think Kevin and Gwyneth starring in a movie about this book would be great. Both are great actors and Gwyneth looks a lot like the cover model. Thanks for stopping by to chat and share with us. Would love to win The Doctors Wife.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired to read more about Narcissa, now, myself!

    babykf at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just might get a copy of The Doctor's Lady.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...