I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

P is for . . .

I wrote an article this weekend on Peace. Hummingbird pictures - so cool. But that is not what I chose for my letter P article this week.

I've chosen the virtue of Patience.

I know this isn't always a favorite topic, so I'll hurry and get to the point. Wait, on second thought, I think I'll take my time . . .

Dr. Seuss, in his book, "Oh, The Places You'll Go," admonished against staying in "the waiting
place." That was not a place that we wanted to be. According to the story-poet, the waiting place is no place to be:
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting. 
Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.
While this makes for a great story, sometimes a wait is the very state in which I need to be for a while. It's not pleasant, nor peaceful, nor comfortable, and yet it is where I stand right now in many areas of my life.

  • I've a list of things I need to do both personally, for my home and kids, as well as professionally, but I'm waiting for the Lord to give my sweet hubby some income security.
  • I've a deep desire to get involved in a Ladies' group, maybe a book club or Bible study, but until we know where we will land, I hesitate to join anything.
  • My novel is nearing the end of its final revision/edit. I've waited to shop it until I'd gotten it to this point, so I'm almost out of this waiting place. That's a scary thought, though!
So I am in a waiting place. God-willing I won't be here long, but while I am here, still and quiet, I'm learning things.

  • I'm learning how my Father supplies my family's needs. Even our wants have been satisfied. Only my proactive need to know what's going to happen is being taxed.
  • I'm learning that worry and stress are ultimately within my control. I haven't conquered it, yet, but at least I see it.
  • I'm learning how the fruit that shows in people's lives is a reflection of Christ's work much better than any words spoken. (And learning that it is true for me, too!)
  • I'm learning that this waiting place doesn't have to paralyze me. Just because I can't make longterm plans doesn't mean I can't effectively minister where I find the Lord working.
The Lord is actively teaching me patience through all of this, gently but insistently. I hope I learn quickly - oh, yeah, oops.

In the meantime, I hope this lesson gets easier!

11 comments:

  1. Patience, not an easy fruit of the Spirit to develop. But thankfully we are all a work in progress and with God's help we are able to surrender and follow HIm. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Rita. It makes that "not as though I have already attained" verse intimately profound!

    Thanks for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Marji. Patience is a fruit that is slow (and oftentimes difficult) to cultivate. But God is surely moving in your life. Your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brandi, for the prayers and the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a timely post! I'm nearing the edits on my own novel, and sometimes I feel all rushed, as if I'm not editing quickly enough, querying quickly enough, and so on. But why rush? It'll get done when it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And sometimes, Deniz, the timing, when I actually wait on the Lord, ends up being perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. I can SO relate to this post. So many changes, so much waiting on the Lord and His direction...
    You're right, I don't have to be paralyzed during this period of time, no matter what is going on with those around me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, great thoughts. Glad I didn't miss this post. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, Niki and Sara! Have a blessed weekend!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes, it's a long haul in God's Waiting Room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! But He gives comfort while we're waiting. Which is a good thing because I need it!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...