I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Friday, August 5, 2011

Surely Not

For some crazy reason, as I'm driving down the road on yet another volleyball carpool errand, this old Gospel song keeps running through my mind. Words were written by Reverend Josiah Alwood around 1880, but the song has been recorded by Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, Brenda Lee, Randy Travis and Jim Brown to name a few.

Oh, the land of cloudless days
Oh, the land of an uncloudy sky
Oh, they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise
Oh, they tell me of an uncloudy day.
 
I THINK I'VE FOUND THAT PLACE!



Did I ever mention I live in North Texas?

Yeah, the place where pigs can't wallow cause the mud's dried up, if there were pigs, which there aren't.

But there are plenty of goats and cows. The longhorns in a local field all congregate underneath the trees chewing their cud. They look like they're discussing a plan of escape. Most of them are lying down, but those standing can at least catch a breeze, when there is one, which is rare.

This is the place where the sky is eternally blue and the grass is an endless brown unless a spark has blackened it. Where dirt cracks expand to look like varicose veins across the landscape.

Yeah, that place that is flirting with matching its all-time highest temperature. Whoopee. By all means, let's go for it.

But it's a dry heat ... uh, yeah.

I'm here to tell you this just ain't heaven. Nor will heaven be ANYTHING like this. Wanna know how I know? Cause heaven is a place we're gonna wanna be. Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you ..."  and "In my Father's home are many mansions ..." both from John 14:2 That sound like an oven to you?

Nope, that "Land of the cloudless days" is also gonna be without savage heat or blinding sunshine. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. Rev. 22:5 


So I can keep my chin up even though the sweat makes my hair stick to it. And I know it will end sometime soon. It will, right?

In the meantime, my girls are up to their eyebrows in ice pops, oh excuse me, they're called "Flavor Ice," now. I remember eating them when I was little while we bounced around in the water sprinkler.

Current temp is 108°. Think I'll go find one of those Flavor Ice thingies.


How do you beat the heat?

4 comments:

  1. Marji, you've got some BEAUTIFUL descriptions here! Wow! I'm not going to tell you what the temperature is right now in Northern California because you'd probably get mad at me. But when I've been in terrible heat...I've either gone to a movie (yay, air conditioning!) or the mall (yay, air conditioning!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am scrapbooking at a hotel for the weekend. So chilly I have to have a sweater. Ahhhhh, heaven!

    But if you get any extra rain, could you send it this direction???

    Thanks for visiting!

    Blessings <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words Marji!
    your descriptions are wonderful.
    and unfortunately oh so true.
    It is so hot hot hot.
    It will end ... one of these days,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in a very cool scrapbooking room all weekend. Could imagine clouds and maybe a little rain! Ahhhhhh, such atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...