I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Precisely What?

When I first saw the term, Flash Fiction it confused me. My definition would be something like speed writing or the like, but that's not it at all. In fact, it can take a while to wade through the myriad of words that I would want to use and carve it down to the slender amount that I need to use. Sorta like putting my writing on a diet. But without the exercise that would go with it.

Flash Fiction is actually short fiction. A complete story in a concise format. The best example I've seen
is Hemingway's short story. It has six words - "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

So I thought I might try my hand at this type of writing. I have two solid goals for this article. First, that writing with precision and making every word count strengthens my abilities. Second, that you guys will get a kick out of it.

Just in case you're curious, this has 585 words.

--------------

How far could this dinky thing go?

I soared down the freeway, feeling aloft in the tiny car. The motor gave no hint of running, sort of like a wound up rubber band propelling the vehicle.


My phone buzzed on the seat next to me. I picked it up, my eyes focused on the road.

"Where are you?" The impatient voice came through without a greeting. I hadn't talked to Marc very often and I liked him less and less each time I did.

"I'm on I-45. Heading your direction."

"Do you have the car? The red one?"

"Well if I didn't, I couldn't really be coming your way, now could I?" Why did I agree to this errand?

The phone went dead ending the conversation. I tossed it into the passenger seat. It's not like I could toss it anywhere else. The Flintstones had a larger ride. This two-seated electric machine made me feel both overexposed and claustrophobic at the same time.

My friend, Kendra's, ringtone chimed and I picked up the phone again.

"Lucy? I'm so sorry about all of this."

Hair on the back of my neck stood up. "All of what? What have you gotten me into?"

"Nothing really bad. It's not illegal, really."

"Illegal? I thought I was just picking up your boyfriend's car." A bead of sweat dripped down my cheek.

"You are. Marc owns it. At least he did, but . . ."

"What do you mean did?" My grip threatened to crumble the phone.

"He had this credit problem."

"I'm the one with the problem." My breath came in short bursts. "I'm driving a stolen car, aren't I?"

"It's not stolen ... not exactly."

"Then what exactly is it, Kendra?"

"Well, before he could correct his accounts, his ex-wife had someone collect it."

That wasn't the explanation I wanted. "Why didn't you tell me all of this? Do you know how much trouble I could get into?"

Kendra whined. "If you knew about it, you wouldn't have helped us. And you had the perfect opportunity."

Of course, my new apartment happened to be in the same building as Marc's ex-wife's place. Great. Why didn't my internal alarms clang when I got the car key in the mail?

"You're right about one thing, I wouldn't have helped you."

A siren whirred somewhere behind me. My breath caught. I veered right. As the flashing lights came into view, panic swelled in my stomach. I thought about how to word my excuses.

No, officer, I didn't know the car was stolen. I thought it belonged to my friend's boyfriend. His name is Marc. I don't know his last name.

Oh yeah, any cop would believe that and send me on my merry way.

An ambulance passed. My stiff exhale fogged the windshield. I resumed my pace. This plan seemed destined for failure and I would be the one left holding the bag.

I may not have realized my involvement in the subterfuge at the onset, but I knew about it now. I sat in a fiery, little creation that the makers had dubbed Smart and was up to my earlobes in DUMB.

No, I would not be part of this mess.

I exited and zipped around the U-ee, whipped under the freeway and sped right back on. If I was lucky, Marc's ex- wouldn't even know the toy had left the parking garage.

I just hoped it had enough of whatever go-go juice it drank to get back home.

Blessings on my critique group for working and laughing through this piece with me! Inspiration came from the picture at the top. What other ideas does the picture give to you?

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your mom! It's my mom's birthday today too. August 4th is a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll pass the wish along! And send one off to your own mom from your virtual Tweep!

    Blessings <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Story and just my size - when it comes to romantic christian fiction. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, PD, another 15 words and it would've been too much for you huh! :) Thanks for visiting to my sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...