I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

O - My!

This week's A2Z posting is on the letter O as in XOXOXO (Do I really need to explain?) and OOOOoooooo (What my dog says when she's hungry and my dinky twinkies say at a fireworks show) But I didn't pick either for my Official O pOst.

I'm choosing another virtue - sort of like being NICE - my N offering.

This time it's one I know you'll be excited about -
Obedience!

Yeah, well, my dogs aren't really into the concept either.

My girls are pretty good at it, though - I feel totally blessed because I'm a little bit of a rebel myself. I've explained to them that part of the reason we insist on obedience is to teach them how to act around other people. But the BIGGEST reason we insist on obedience is in training for the rest of their life.

Of course, they're going to have to learn how to get along (i.e. Obey) the authorities, their bosses, elders, government officials, etc. I share with them, though, that the real training is to give them an attitude of trust and obedience by following the instructions of someone they can both hear and understand. That way, when they're older and the instructions from the Lord aren't easy to hear and even harder to understand, they will have the practice of obedience, following His lead without question.

Poet John H. Sammis (1846-1919) developed the following hymn, Trust and Obey, when his composer friend, Daniel B. Towner (1850-1919) brought him the title after a church meeting led by Dwight L. Moody. Seems a young Christian who knew little of doctrine or proper church behavior testified, "I'm not quite sure, but I'm going to trust, and I'm going to obey." Towner was inspired by the young man's faith and his tune, with his friend's words, remains a steadfast favorite hymn more than a century later.
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet, or we'll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do. Where He sends we will go.
Never fear only trust and obey. 
Trust and Obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus
But to Trust and Obey.
My sweet hubby and I have seen the truth of this song proven in our own lives many times. We will be happier, by far, remaining within the will of the Lord, than fighting against it to try to get our own way.


When have you had trouble with obedience or seen that your obedience gave awesome blessings? 

13 comments:

  1. Great topic! For me it was becoming an interpreter. I have learning disabilities that make formal education like college difficult--and they are specifically vision-related, so majoring in a visual language was crazy. Then you add all the health problems I developed, and graduating from the intensive program was simply impossible.

    But God did a miracle and I am graduated. It took 6 years a whole lot of pain and tears, but God never promised it would be easy--He only promised His grace would be sufficient.

    I can't work very many hours, but looovvvee interpreting and get to minister with my skills at two different churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt led to go back to school with a career change at the age of 50. It took 6 years of part time school while I worked at night-a lot of blood , sweat and tears! But worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on that song. I can hear it as I look at those lyrics.

    For me, hitting "send" every week when I email the column is an act of obedience. Staying in my chair to transcribe reports is, too, and I need to work on my attitude about THAT one. Rather, God's working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We will be happier, by far, remaining within the will of the Lord, than fighting against it to try to get our own way." Amen! Love this "O" post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great topic. I'm with you...glad our son does better on this "O" than the dogs do! Lots of good things to think about here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great topic and one I struggle with. I'm a rule follower until things aren't going the way "I" want them to.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have to work on it. I remember how my sweet hubby would deal with my kids when they were toddlers, gently urging them to come with him, but letting them fall, in a safe environment, when they pulled away. I can so picture the Father dealing with me like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah -- one of my favorite hymns. And a great post. I just had the pleasure of a weekend with my granddaughters who are both trusting and obedient -- what a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've learned more from my dogs about obedience than I would have though possible! Maybe more than I learned from raising kids.
    Terrific post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol! Niki!

    Deana, having grandkids sounds so far away to me, but then having four of my own was never an expectation to begin with. So pleased that yours give you such peace. Hope you can say that about me someday (A LONG LONG TIME FROM NOW!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good reminder, Marji. I expect the kids in my class to obey but how many times have I ground my heels into the dirt and argued with God? Ouch.

    Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard that song in years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by, Laury. I remember when I taught, I'd remind the kids on day 2 of how much fun they will have if they followed our rules. By day 2 they were usually pushing to see what they could get away with. I'd remind them first thing and spend the rest of the day proving I was serious. By far the worst day of any school year! But it would always set up for good days that followed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes! Terrific O, Marji. Obedience is crucial for ALL of us.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...