I was asked last week about my writing. What type of writing am I doing and why am I doing it? Thankfully, I've given some in-depth thought to this very question.
I've read some amazing bios from current Christian authors, how the Lord brought them through terrible situations. Not only did they survive, but they thrived and now share, in the midst of their pain, their stories. Women with similar situations of abuse or misuse can identify with the characters in their books. As they read the fictional success stories, they can grow closer in their relationships with the Lord, right along with the lady in the book they are reading.
I don't have a story like that. Oh, I'm not complaining, but it's a fact. I've been blessed through my life. Even though my parents were divorced when I was really young and I technically qualified as a latchkey kid, the Spirit protected my brother and me.
My lack of a dramatic history led me to wonder about my own audience. Who could I be writing for?
I became a Christian at the age of 11. My relationship with the Lord tends to be a little like a roller coaster. Sometimes, I'm on fire with purpose and passion. Other times, I take my relationship so for granted. When I come to the realization, I'm so humbled, but God is great in mercy and wraps me up again in His unfailing love.
That is the message I want to send. I want to speak to other women, like me, who have small glimpses of His glory throughout their lives. Those women (we women) who allow the business of our lives and the distractions of the world around us to choke out the fire once in a while and steal away our time with the Lord. Then when the realization reaches us, we commit our ways once again with whole hearts. So I write, specifically, for Christian women who long to love the Lord more dearly.
It reminds me of a favorite song from the 80s. Yeah, I know I'm dating myself, but it has such a great message!
Oh Lord, take Your plow to my fallow ground. Let Your blade take down to the soil of my soul, before I become dry and dusty. Lord, I know there must be richer earth lying below.
I've been living in Laodicea, and the fire that once burned bright I've let it grow dim. And the very one I swore that I would die for, all has been forgotten and the world's become my friend.
By the end of the song, there is commitment to stop living in Laodicea, and keep the fire burning bright. That's where I want to be.
Create in me a clean heart O Lord, my God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Your presence. Take not Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit. Psalms 51:10-12
If you're a writer, who will be most touched by your stories?
Thanks for an insightful post, Marji.
ReplyDeleteI write nonfiction and a blog, "stories" of a sort, I guess. My books have been about marriage and family, all from a Christian perspective. At the moment I'm working on a book for moms.
My blog takes a broader view. Who reads it? I dunno. I get comments (verbal) from women of all ages, not just moms. I even have some men who follow my blog. When I ask why, they say something like, "Well, it's interesting," which doesn't help me narrow it down.
Good for you and your writing challenge to yourself!
Thanks so much for visiting, Lenore. Your blog is inspiring! I'm so glad I found it.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!