I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

K is for Kids

Last week, I shared my plans for the weekend, St. Patrick's day greenness.
Not ALL of my ideas got shared, but I posted some decidedly un-green photos that had inspired me, so today I thought I'd share the real thing.

Some of the most unappetizing-looking food items I've ever put into my mouth. Yet my kids were delighted. Dinky Twinkies kept hugging me. "Mom, you are the best!" (Music to my ears!) And Precious Redhead gave her own kind of teenage compliment when she posted about our silly string fight on Facebook saying, "I did not think my mom was so random as that."


Doing for my kids made me think of how I am to the Lord. There's a reason why He calls us His children. Jesus even said as much in Mark 10:14 when He declares that the kingdom of heaven is "such" as these. In Mark 10:15 He goes further saying, "Truly I say to you that whoever does not receive the kingdom of heaven like a child will not enter it."

 
Kids are naturally trusting. I saw that when I pulled out the silly string and decorated all three girls before they could react. (I probably shouldn't have stopped to take the pictures, though. That's when they ganged up on me and stole my can!) But kids will react with trust  to those who have shown them love and kindness. (Oh I should feel so bad!) The point is, my trusting of the Lord should be with my whole heart. Eyes wide. Arms open.
 

Kids are full of wonder. Even my teenagers still sparkle when something stirs them, but when they were toddlers. Oh my. Think of a bright Christmas tree with all of the colors, movement, and lights and packed with presents underneath. Unsure at first, their mouths would drop open and they would clap their hands. Sometimes even give a little hop. We're supposed to be that way with the amazing blessings God rains down on us every day.

Kids are so grateful. Along with that wonder often comes big hugs and laughter. Sometimes "thank you" sneaks out, but the true gratefulness is the rapture that fills their faces. Our lives are supposed to be big-time thank-yous right back to God for all He has done for us. We deserve none of His gifts, especially our redemption. The airs of entitlement disperse, our attitude should remain entirely focused on gratitude.

I know the pictures are a little goofy - and some of the food made me GAG! But this weekend not only blessed me with my family, it reminded me of who and whose I am.

What have you learned from a kid lately?

2 comments:

  1. I spent the weekend on a road trip with hubby, visiting our kids.

    We had a mint chocolate cake that was green...it was awesome. My daughter made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE mint chocolate! My favorite milkshake when I was growing up was mint chocolate chip, or once in a while I'd get peppermint/chocolate chip.
    Yummy! I want some! Think I'll have a sandwich instead, but you know it's really NOT the same!

    Oh and as far as road-tripping to visit your kids, I really don't want to go there yet. Just having the dear boy down the road is tough. Can't imagine my home empty of all the music and laughter. But I guess when I get to that point, God will give me what I need to find joy in it. Sounds like you sure are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...