I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, March 12, 2012

J is for ...

Indie Author Lee Carver presented information about
Self-Publishing at the recent DFW Ready Writer meeting.
JOIN!


I have a writer tip. When I first started this gig almost 10 months ago, one of the first things I did was do a search for local writer groups. I knew there had to be some out there! And I found several in and around the metroplex. Yea!


DFW Ready Writer president, Janice Olson
Then I looked at when they met, boo. I'd barely missed every meeting and had to wait several weeks for another chance. My first was a critique group on the east side. It was nice, but not social, so I kept looking. I wanted to find that unique group of folks that I could not only grow with, but connect with, too!


Authors Lena Nelson Dooley, Leann Harris, and Margo Carmichael
I found DFW Ready Writers. They're the local chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers. At the first meeting I met highly successful authors who were kind and encouraging. I even found not one, but two critique groups, each with it's own flavor of focus. I don't always get to go to both every week, but I never regret going when I can. They have stretched me so much!


Authors Lynne Gentry and Jane Thornton
And taught me. Not only writing techniques - just listening to their mastery does that - but also publishing insight as many are well-published authors.


And the best part about them is the connection. I really like these gals (mostly gals) and they like me right back and miss me when I'm not around. How cool is that?


So my tip is this. Find a group of like-minded writers. You don't have to share a genre to be like-minded. The groups that I'm in write in all types - Amish, fantasy, YA, historical, suspense, contemporary romance, even children's books. We don't all write the same genre, but we all share the same goal of glorifying the Lord. 


And once you've found that group, join them. Both feet. Be willing to put yourself out there and maybe even get your nose tweaked a bit. You'll grow as a writer and as a professional. 


Oh, and if you're anywhere near the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex, I hope you'll consider visiting our next meeting. You can find out more information at this link!


Your turn! What's the best writer tip, or life tip, that you've ever gotten?

6 comments:

  1. So glad you've found a group that meets your needs! Your post made me miss my critique group - we'll be meeting at the end of the month. I'm in agreement - genre doesn't matter, shared faith in Christ does! Have a wonderful week, Marji!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you found an outstanding group of writers to meet with - a very important thing for us to have in our writing life.

    Oh yes, I responded to your tag on my blog today. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the photo of Lynn Gentry--just met her at the last ACFW. My friend, Kellie Gilbert introduced us. I love meeting new friends, especially when they're just sooooo sweet! Glad I've met you, too, and hope it will be in person soon!
    Aloha! --Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cheryl! Kelli is one of the sharpest ladies I've ever met. I'll have to tell her how we bumped into each other the next time I see her!

      Delete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...