Okay if you have a Blogspot blog like I do, you have no idea about this. I sure didn't!
When I first started visiting different blogs and leaving comments, I found it extremely easy to comment on a blogspot blog - well I had one so it was all laid out for me. But that wasn't the case for Wordpress blogs, and I'm not even going into to the ones sponsored by other companies. I got so much junkmail that I have refused to comment on those sites anymore.
At a Wordpress blog, I had to type in all of my data for each new blog as I tried to comment. It was most annoying, but I found that the ones I commented on frequently held my data somehow and only required a small repetition to continue to respond. Not too bad.
As a Blogspot blogger, I kept hearing what a nightmare it was to comment on my site. Especially if they have a CAPTCHA. (Those are the little wavy letters that will prove you're not a robot when you type them in.) I even read in articles of media gurus that they won't even attempt to comment on a site that requires a CAPTCHA. My first thought was, "Gee that's pretty harsh." But as I have now switched over to Wordpress, I have to echo the sentiments.
I have several blogs I follow, where I cannot comment with my Wordpress sign-in. I prefer to use my new blog address. It will have MUCH more to offer than my old site, but the comment box won't allow me to. When I switched over to my Wordpress identity, it just kept saying that my CAPTCHA entry was wrong. Dummy me, I kept trying with each new combination thinking I was sleepier than I thought. Nope, it wasn't me. Finally giving up, I used my blogspot ID and got accepted right away.
The next time I tried, I noted that I could log out of my blogspot ID. Thinking maybe I needed to do that in order to comment with Wordpress I gritted my teeth (can't stand the way google makes me log out of EVERYTHING to switch accounts like google docs!) and logged out, losing my email and calendar temporarily as well.
But that didn't do it. No matter what I tried, I could not leave a comment with my Wordpress ID.
I know I've gotten comments from Wordpress folks on my blogspot. I am SO thankful for their perseverance! I had no idea how difficult it was. Alas I haven't found the correct hoops as yet. Maybe I should return to IE as a browser. Maybe Chrome and Blogspot, and Google in general, are working against the force that is ...
... pressing.
So tell me ... what blogs are easy to comment on and which are difficult? Who knows; maybe it's just me?

It always seems like a case of "the grass is greener" doesn't it? I'm in the process of switching to wordpress. I generally like the way comments work there and usually just sign in with my twitter account. Blogspot is driving me crazy lately with their new captcha stuff. I NEVER get it right the first time! To make it easier for my commenters, I turned that off. I figure it's easier to delete a few spam comments that have my readers frustrated over trying to figure out those stupid letters! We'll see what happens when I make the switch!
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you, Anne. The point is to make it easy for folks to open a discussion. I'd much rather delete the spam myself than hinder a visitor from engaging!
DeleteOh, and I've actually never had to delete anything on this blog. So it's not like it pours in without the gate-keeper.
ReplyDeleteI use IE for my browser, but I still have to jump through hoops to comment on non-Wordpress sites. It's like a rown of stores in a strip mall putting up walls between stores so you have to go back to the busy street to get from one store to another. Foolish.
ReplyDeleteIt's even worse when you're guesting on a BlogSpot blogsite and can't check anything to receive emails when comments are made. You don't know when to reply to comments, and you have to jump through the hoops for each one.
Oh I didn't even think about that scenario. How annoying! It wasn't as easy to comment on WP when I didn't use my blogger ID, but it was possible. I find it impossible to comment on blogger with my WP ID now. Since my goal is to chat with folks, making it hard just doesn't seem logical.
DeleteThanks for your insight, David!
I kind of like blogger because of the ease in which you can post. However, the CAPTCHAs have gotten harder to read in the past several weeks. Have you noticed?
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Oh I LOVE posting on Blogspot. Especially because I can control the html - fonts, colors, table sizes. LOVE THE CONTROL. I do NOT like the limitations that Wordpress hands me, but aside from special fonts and colors, I've been able to adjust my posts to do what I want them to do.
DeleteBut it's not about me. And YES I've noticed the harder CAPTCHAs. What's that all about. Now you not only have to be human but you have to read hieroglyphics too? LOL!
I like to make friends with you,haha.
ReplyDelete----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rc Helicopter|Mini Rc Helicopter|rc hobby stores