Yeah, I didn’t let it slide. And it made me think of the importance and the correct methods of gathering research. Since this semester, we’ll be creating research papers, (Well, they’ll be creating research papers, I’ll be watching.) I thought a
refresher course on giving credit might be in order.
The point of research is to have the facts about a topic. Unless a topic is intensely personal, a writer will not likely have all the information that they need to fill up an entire term paper or even a five-paragraph essay. Research is the gathering of enough facts to support the statement made about the topic – thesis statement.
When collecting the data, it’s important to make a note somewhere about
the origin of the data. If it is from a book, the author, title, publisher,
location of publishing, and publication date should be listed along with the
page numbers where the data is found. The same general information should be
taken for any other source. A researcher wants to have a trail that leads back
to the original source, regardless of what that source is. That way if something
needs to be checked it can be found. In the same way, a reader can learn more
about the topic by following the citation trail back to the original sources.
The other thing about research is that one source isn’t enough. If only
one source is used, then the researcher is basically only duplicating someone
else’s work – plagiarism. When several sources are used and cited, the
researcher is creating his own work, basing it on the opinions and work that
others have done before him. That’s the core of a correctly written research
paper.
I research all the time! :) I've researched lapidary work, including the ruby trade and the laws banning bringing Burmese (Myanmar) rubies to the US. Oil rigs and the business. Egyptian culture, specifically the 15th dynasty.
ReplyDeleteOk, so that's just some. I think it's so important to get it right when you're writing and be able to make those places and occupations believable down to the noises and smells.
Totally agree! What fun to research all of those places! I need to branch out!
ReplyDeleteI research most times when I write, and when I want to learn more about something in my spare time I research it. I have a blog, but I use it for posting about subjects I have already researched but want others to know about.
ReplyDeleteI began the process of writing a historical fiction book a few months ago, and I had a hard time transitioning from researching every in and out of the setting (both chronological and geographical) to actually writing the story... :P I still haven't gotten around to it.
ReplyDeleteYes, I research for papers. Sometimes I research just to know more about things, too.
ReplyDeleteI research many things. sometimes just random facts of information.
ReplyDeleteJustin
Terrific post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteThis week, researching wasn't too easy. I was writing about programming languages, so I had to wade through lots of "technobabble" that was totally out of my league to get to the answers. Many pages about programming are reluctant to compare languages in any meaningful way.
ReplyDelete