I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A is for ...

... Appetite. Can you tell I’m hungry while I write this? I’m visiting relatives and hoping that lunch will begin soon. This is the first installment of Patty Wysong's A2Z Take Two Blog Hop or meme (rhymes with "cream"). Join us and get to know some great folks!

My two latest novels are set in eateries: one in a diner and one in a bed & breakfast. Both have special dishes that are served, things that the places are known for. One of these is a
sour cream apple pie. This pie has been a favorite of mine since I happened across the recipe twenty-some years ago.

I lost the recipe shortly after moving into my first house and had to make a couple for a church dinner. No problem. I don’t need no stinkin’ recipe. Yeah, right. Two hours and two tries later, I had globby messes and thought maybe I DID need the recipe. MAYBE?

Though I don’t regularly eat them anymore – diabetes – I’ll still cook them every once in a while. Oh, and I DID find my recipe! I make it the quick and easy way:
1 can of apple pie filling
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 TBSP flour
1/8 tsp salt1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
Spread the apple pie filling in an unbaked frozen pie shell. Mix together the remaining ingredients, beating by hand, and pour over the top of the canned filling. Bake at 400•F for 30-35 minutes. While it's baking blend together:
1/4 cup softened (but not melted) butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg 
Use a spoon or your hands to make the mixture crumbly. Sprinkle it evenly over the pie and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes. Let it cool and "set" before you serve it.

We're only barely out of the holidays. What is your FAVORITE dessert!

13 comments:

  1. Sour cream apple pie - that sounds good! I'll try the recipe. Thanks for sharing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...sounds good! Although I don't eat sweets much either. Not diabetic, but after losing ~50 lbs. I don't want to put it back on again! --Oh, and you might want to check your link on Patty's site. It seems to go to (another copy of)...Patty's site! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, sounds interesting and good! Great idea for your A post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-o! I'm going to have to try this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fixed the link. Thanks Shelley! So glad ya'll like the pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds good! My favorite dessert is my mother's red velvet cake. I have the recipe but it is always better when she makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I LOVE Red Velvet Cake! That and Buttermilk Pie have always been my favorites! I want to find a GOOD sugar-free version for the two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fave....chocolate covered strawberries, although your recipe sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds wonderful, Marji. Diabetes here, also, and starting an agressive low-glycemic health plan tomorrow. Maybe I'll have to settle for dropping by from time to time to enjoy the picture - at least for now. Your recipe would definitely bring on the smiles at a gathering, though, wouldn't it?
    God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found out about my diabetes several years ago, Nancy. Eliminated flash carbs and all sugar immediately and lost 60 pounds. Now I maintain with diet/exercise. My girls make sure I have sugar-free cakes and pies on hand so I don't feel deprived. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does sound yummy! I like to bake and feed it to my teenagers, who have a soft spot for pie!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...