Except for the little details that I added without thinking. Eye color, tablecloths or pictures. Even "walk-on" characters have changed from the beginning to the ending.
- First and worst are all of those minor characters. I think my heroine's best friend had two first names and three last ones. The florist had two, one male and one female. While my hero's parents kept their names, their personalities change drastically.
- An old truck switched hands a couple of times before I finally settled on its owner. It was also a blue Ford F150 and a brown Chevy. Jury's still out on that decision.
- One of my important secondary characters shows a strong heart adjustment from the beginning of the book to the ending. That's not such a bad thing. Except that her eye color changes along with her faith. Oops. She's not the only one. The BFF of my main character also has eye and hair color malfunctions.
- One room houses several scenes. The living room decorations alter with each one. First a shelf has books and the walls have pictures. Then the shelves have nothing and the walls still have pictures. Next the walls have nothing and the shelves have pictures. Decide already!
- Although my novel is a suspense, there is an element of mystery involved and the clues of it have to be dropped a little at a time. This can be a booger. See, I don't want the clues to shout at anyone, but they have to be there and they have to remain consistent! Ultimate importance! But since they're sort of subtle, it's a royal pain to check on them!
- My calendar had problems throughout the story, too. I'd worked out that my main setting, a diner, was only opened from Monday through Friday. The story goes all week long though. My trouble is when something needs to happen in the diner when it's closed. Yeah, I don't know where the timing got off, but I've got some damage control to do.
- My first fix comes before I start writing. I set up a huge story board. On it, I organized my scenes according to the days in my story. Using that makes my calendar easy to see. It didn't help me much when I decided to keep the diner closed on Saturdays, but at least I could view a week at a time.
- My story board is helping me with my clue situation too. I still have to search for them, but upon first pass, I put up sticky notes to flag where the hints are introduced. If I actually have to change one, I'll know where to start looking!
- I put the cars in the same realm as the other details in the background/setting. I've identified where they are mentioned by flagging my story board - new color! Now if I could just decide on the type and appearance.
- The room in my setting has turned out to be a non-issue. In fact, it helped the plot move along. I swept the walls and the shelves clean and made that fact a bit of a conundrum about my antagonist. What is he hiding? Wish I could do that with my heroine's messy house (or my own for that matter!).
- To solve the problems with my minor characters, I set up a spread sheet. I labeled the rows with things like: Her BF, His dad, Her cook, His BF, Pastor, Chief, Dean, etc. When I found a character in the book, I noted his name in my spread sheet and where I introduced him. That way, if I moved an introduction, (as happens when a scene is eliminated or totally rewritten) I could be aware that I don't mention the character before saying who he is. My spreadsheet has helped so much, though it isn't entirely complete.


Seems like I'm at about the same point as you! And finding the same things, like a character with two different names, and three different spellings!
ReplyDeleteThe storyboard idea is great. I love seeing things laid out all organized, much easier than a spreadsheet I'd just end up printing out anyway!
It's so important to keep all these details straight, isn't it? It's tough to read something where the author keeps jumping around.
Good job getting things organized - I'll be doing the same here in a minute!
Wow! That plot board is amazing.
ReplyDeleteDetails are like those herbs and spices, and other things we throw into a soup that really makes it unique and yummy...and makes them come back for more.
If I had my way, Natalia, I'd write with pen and paper. I've always liked drawing things out and rearranging the details. Part of the fun. But it just isn't feasible when it's so much faster to put it down digitally. Alas!
ReplyDeleteI'm lovin your board! I use OneNote to note my details. I have a picture and profile of each person. Many times, I hunt down a house, living room, kitchen by image and post that as well. And because I'm not a huge plotter other than the main points, I have a notebook handy, so when a character or something important appears, I jot it down and can come back to it so I don't have to go through the whole ms just looking for slipped details, but I do always find a few! :)
ReplyDeleteLove that imagery, Loree!
ReplyDeleteI have to get better at that, Jessica. Feel like I'm on an Easter Egg Hunt right now!
Like you, Marji, I'm in the midst of edits. I'm preparing to receive the ones from my publishing house, and in preparation I'm reading the manuscript for the first time in a year as I catch typos, repetitions, etc. As I read, I'm creating sheets listing the timeline, characters, etc. to help me and my editor as we go through the upcoming revision process. Gotta get those details right, right? =)
ReplyDeleteKeli, I look forward to having an editor's eyes on my ms. Sorta like a partner on the process. My awesome crit partners don't let me get away with anything, but they only read a section at a time - continuity slips between the cracks.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the process I go through when I write music. I'm not as organized as you, but I'll usually start with just my guitar. Once I find a sound I like, then I start thinking about what kind of words would match that. Then everything goes crazy and I brainstorm a billion rhymes and words and ideas. The hardest part is weaning out what sounds good, all flows and has one message, but all has a good, God glorifying message. Right now I'm in the beginnings of writing a song, but hopefully Christmas Break will be productive :)
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome Ben J. I didn't know you wrote music!
ReplyDeleteI'm not nearly as organized as you are. The best place for my notes and outlines is usually in my head or in jumbled notes on notebook paper. Over the past year, though, you have inspired me to really work out what I want to write before I just start writing. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteWell, then we've traded inspiration, C.Kay. Your persistent determination has inspired the tar out of me, too!
ReplyDeleteI definitely like the story board idea. In my WIP, I noticed a couple of my characters died in Chapter Three and mysteriously reappeared unscathed in Chapter Five!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm laughing, Ninja Gal. My first thought is, "Oh, you write paranormal?" LOL! That is too funny. I didn't get quite that forgetful, but my victim's name in my last novel changed about eight times. Multiple personalities - hers not mine!
ReplyDeleteFunny, I have spreadsheets like this too! I have not moved to the "Board" concept yet. I'd probably want to draw little pictures of everyone and it would take WAY too much time. It looks like your really thinking this over though, which is GREAT.
ReplyDeleteGreat information! The next time I write a story, I want to use a storyboard and a spreadsheet to keep track of scenes and characters.
ReplyDeleteOh, I also spend a day, just after figuring out my plot, to hunt for my ideal for my characters - most of them anyway. I print out pictures and give 2 pages in a notebook to each of them, outlining some of their arc. It's this information that sets up the in depth picture that I share in my spread sheets.
ReplyDelete