I know it sounds sorta crazy, but as I contemplated this letter on Sunday I kept coming back to the collection of teas in a great wooden chest that my sister-in-law bestowed upon me for a gift a few years back.
I used to drink a lot of hot tea, but I've gotten out of the practice. This letter and this article were just
what I needed to give me an excuse to do a little research.
My tea chest holds many different types so my girls and I had a tea-tasting yesterday. I'd say we dressed up in fancy clothes, but my girls are high-school and middle-school. Who would believe me? I'm just glad they joined me and added their two-(I mean three-!) cent's worth.
We started with some traditional teas, some that are typical in tea-drinking countries, but I'd never tasted. We even did something I've always wanted to do; we added cream! (Keep in mind, that I'm from Texas, where tea comes in a tall glass with ice and a lemon slice or mint sprig.) The difference amazed me. All of the teas became much smoother; sometimes that wasn't such a good thing, though.
- Earl Grey made us suffer. It has a very distinctive taste, but is a strong tea - bitter to the core. None of us liked it with cream, but my oldest dinky twinkie liked it with sweetener. I think she's a little crazy! The cream took off a little of the edge, but not enough.
- Lady Grey tea was impressive to me even without sweetener. With a light citrus taste it was my precious red-head's favorite of the unsweetened variety. Although the addition of sweetener gave it a sour aftertaste, with the cream it turned out delicious and was easily one of my favorites.
- My dinkie twinkies preferred the Raspberry tea although I thought it tasted like Kool-aid. The cream didn't help this one as much as the others.
- Chamomile tea was smooth like the Lady Grey tea. When the sweetener was added, it held my favorite place, not having the bitter aftertaste that the Lady Grey tea had. But with the cream, it tasted too much like candy.
- We tasted a few others during that first wave that couldn't hold a candle to the ones I already mentioned.
- English Breakfast tea tasted like sugar-water first and sweetened milk after adding the cream.
- Irish Breakfast tea, though it held a hint of mint plain, was hideous with anything added.
- Green tea was hideous period, tasting a lot like grass. (Yet I drink the cold version all the time - go figure.)
- Peppermint was a favorite for all but my dinky twinkie who doesn't like mint.
- Sleepytime tea passed barely, especially with sweetener added. I love that tea, when it's iced!
- Honey Vanilla Chamomile, with sweetener, also earned smiles.
- Peach was okay, but I have a feeling I'll be tossing out the last few bags of that some months from now.
- Orange Spice - same destiny as the peach. I really thought I'd like that one, but it was nasty.
- Lemon Zinger - I didn't think anything could be worse than the Orange Spice. I was wrong.
We all agreed that the second teas were ruined when we added the cream. Had a feeling that might happen.
What did I learn from this little exercise? That I love spending goofy time with my girls and that we are all SO different, even the twins! Oh and that none of us REALLY like tea all that much! Ha!
Have you ever been to a high tea? Tell me about it!

Thanks for sharing your tea experience. I enjoyed your commentary on the different varieties. I especially enjoyed that your girls tasted them along with you. How fun!
ReplyDeleteI've gone to just one tea, which was hosted by the librarian at my daughter's middle school. This was a mother-daughter event in the school's library where we met to discuss a book we'd all read. The lights were turned down low, the serving table boasted a beautiful display of finger sandwiches and other delicious treats, and the tea flowed freely--as did the conversation. That event is a treasured memory.
ReplyDeleteIt was fun, Shelley. All of us were laughing.
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds so nice, Keli! I know there are places that do daily teas as a matter of course, but I think the memories part is the most important one for around here!
Thanks for sharing, gals!
My daughter worked in a tea shop at one time. That's when I learned about teas and their medicinal and health benefits.
ReplyDeleteI've been to a few high teas, and I collect old fancy tea cups and saucers.
I'm an Earl Grey with cream drinker in the morning. In the afternoon, I drink a Chai Green tea. Love the spices.
Oh wow! You are a tea drinker, Loree. My oldest dinkie twinkie liked those combinations, but I wasn't a fan of them. I think I need a little more practice! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are BRAVE!! tasting all those teas?! Wow.
ReplyDeleteThe only tea I drive is a medicinal tea and I do NOT like it. I'd almost rather be sick. LOL. My mom and sister love tea. The smell of it turns my stomach. Go figure.
But huge hooray for goofy time with your girls!! THAT would be worth tasting blechie tea. LoL
Hee hee! My youngest dinky twinkie is braver than me, though. At least I used to drink hot tea and don't mind it so much. She's never liked it, but she's a trooper!
ReplyDelete