I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

More Comma Love

I used to think commas were a gift from the Netherworld. After all, the inconsistency of the little bugs more than annoyed. They gave nightmares to trusting youngsters, offered weapons of belittlement to the all-knowing instructors who acted upon them with the smack of a ruler, and twisted the insides of every college student with a paper due.

Which is all of them and a lot of Pepto-Bismol.

All this writing I've been doing has succeeded in

giving me more comma clarity. I started blogging about commas last week and you can find that article HERE.

Here's what else I learned:

  • With more than one adjectives in front of a noun, use a comma between them only if you would use the word and to separate them. Like if you said: The arrogant, stubborn captain of the Enterprise never listened to advice. In this case, an and can go correctly between arrogant and stubborn. On the other hand, I wouldn't need a comma in: The arrogant Enterprise captain never listened to advice.
  • Of course, everyone knows to separate a city and state or a city and country with a comma. Just like when writing an address, this would be correct. Picard grew up near Paris, France. When the sentence continues after the country, another comma is needed, so that the country or state is set aside as extra information. Picard grew up near Paris, France, but didn't stay near home. The only time this wouldn't be the case is if the country is in a possessive form. Picard's boyhood home was near Paris, France's famous wine country.
    So come on in!
    (The sign actually begs for a semi-colon or period.)
  • While you must always set off quotations with commas, be careful not to make them comma-spliced sentences. "Whatever you do," Han Solo said, "don't touch that button."
  • "I see the button," Luke responded. "Why do you have to be so bossy?" In the first sentence, the identifier breaks one sentence into two parts. In the second, It separates two different sentences. If a comma was used in place of the period, it would create a run-on sentence.
  • Negatives, or contrast words, need a comma. Han, not Luke, had the recklessness to come through in a pinch. He became dependable, if not honorable. 
  • Finally, use a comma to avoid confusion in your sentence. OR Finally use a comma to avoid confusion in your sentence. 
Hope this continued list has been helpful and informative. I found information at several sources, including my Precious Redhead's English book, Grammar and Writing by Bob Jones University Press, this website (http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_big.htm#4), and that one (http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp).

What grammar rule gives you the most grief when you're writing?

13 comments:

  1. Commas are and I do not get along...but we're learning.

    Great tips on the commas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a grammar geek and former copyeditor who loves to see commas used correctly. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been too far out of my specialized classes to remember all of the details, but poorly used grammar/punctuation really bugs me when I recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it sad that I actually do know the song that picture is referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear, Boy. I think you're getting into the middle-age groove. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the refresher in comma usage, Marji. Seriously, I have trouble with semicolons. Do people use those anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  7. With semicolons, they are used to separate complete sentences that are joined by a connecting topic. Cally loved spaghetti; the messy noodles intrigued her.

    The thing I've learned from my crit group, though, is that semicolons are rarely, if ever, used in fiction writing at all, so you're off the hook! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use commas all the time. thanks for the refresher.
    JuStIn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mrs. Clubine for reminding me how to use commas!
    Sharlena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool post on commas. I used to be terrible at them, but my best friend is a reading/writing teacher who finally taught me in a way that made sense. I still make mistakes, but I'm way better than I was:)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...