I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Christian Fiction Book Opinions


What to do? What to do?
I love doing book reviews. I’ve learned so much this summer about writing and publishing! It has given me a deep respect for the authors who pour their time, energy, and almost their own blood into the books that I’ve read. But right now, I’m in a quandary.
I try to do my reviews on just released books or those about to be released in order to help the authors as much as possible. At this point though, the only books I have in my e-reader are a little older, so I’m in need of some assistance.
Which of the books below have you read and would you recommend it, OR which of these books are you most interested in learning about? I’ve given a little blurb about each of them from their back covers.
  • CodeBlue by Richard L. Mabry, M.D. – For Dr. Cathy Sewell, Code Blue means more than just the cardiac emergencies she faces—it’s the state of her life when the return to her hometown doesn’t bring the peace she so desperately needs. The town doctors resent the fact that she’s not only a newcomer but also a woman, and the devastating results from one of her prescriptions may mean the end of her practice. As two men compete for her affection, an enemy wants her out of town—or possibly even dead.
  • MissMatch by Erynn Mangum – Lauren Holbrook has found her life’s calling: matchmaking for the romantically challenged. And with the eclectic cast of characters in her world, there’s tons of potential to play “connect the friends.” Inspired by the recent success of matching her sister and new husband, Lauren sets out to introduce Nick, her carefree singles’ pastor, to Ruby, her neurotic co-worker who plans every second of every day. What could possibly go wrong? Just about everything.
  • Alwaysthe Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker – Thirty-six-year-old Emma Rae Travis has been baking specialty cakes and melt-in-your-mouth pastries at The Backstreet Bakery in historic Roswell, just outside of Atlanta, for the last six years. But here’s the rub about her job as a baker … Emma is diabetic. When she tastes her creations, it can only be in the most minute portions. Emma is considered an artisan for the stunning crème brulee wedding cake that won her the Passionate Palette Award last year, but she’s never even had one full slice of it.
  • DeadReckoning by Ronie Kendig – Dead Reckoning is the story of a young woman anxious to abandon the crushing effects of her father’s espionage career only to find herself tangled in the very web of mystery and intrigue that consumed his life. Underwater archaeologist Shiloh blake is consumed with passion for the water and inflamed at the injustices of life, blaming her secret agent father for her mother’s death. When her first large-scale dig traps her in the middle of an international nuclear arms clash, she flees for her life and is followed by an unknown man. Who is he? How is he always one step ahead?
  • Hidein Plain Sight by Marta Perry – Andrea Hampton couldn't turn her back on her family in their time of need, but someone didn't want the secrets the old house harbored to come to light. Trusting anyone—even the handsome carpenter who seemed so genuine—was a battle for Andrea, but her life depended on her ability to find the truth.
  • AHope Undaunted by Julie Lessman – What happens when the boy she loved to hate becomes the man she hates to love? Feisty Katie O’Connor is the epitome of the new woman as the 1920s draw to a close. But instead of enjoying her freedom with her good-looking, well-connected, wealthy boyfriend, she’s forced to spend the summer with Luke McGee, the bane of her childhood existence.
  • FoolsRush In by Janice Thompson – Ever wonder how Italian sounds with a Southern drawl? Bella Rossin’s life is just starting to get interesting. When her Italian-turned-Texas parents hand over the family wedding-planning business, Bella quickly books a Boot-Scootin’ wedding that would make any Texan proud. There’s only one catch—she doesn't know a thing about country music. Where will she find a deejay on such short notice who knows his Alan Jackson from his George Strait? And will Bella ever get to plan her own wedding?
  • Stuckin the Middle by Virginia Smith – Joan Sanderson’s life is stuck. Her older sister, Allie, is starting a family, and her younger sister, Tori, has a budding career. Meanwhile, Joan is stuck at home with Mom and her aging grandmother. Not exactly a recipe for excitement—or romance. When a hunky young doctor moves in next door, Joan sets out to catch his eye, but it won’t be easy. Pretty Tori flirts relentlessly, and Joan is sure she can’t compete. But with a little help from God, Allie, and an enormous mutt with bad manners, Joan begins to find her way out of this rut and into the life she’s been hiding from.
Please comment on today’s post – even if you don’t normally. Which of these books would you pick as your next read and what would you most like to know about it BEFORE you read it? And feel free to suggest or share opinions about other books as well.

10 comments:

  1. Of those, I've only read two: Code Blue and Dead Reckoning. Both were good. But I tip toward Dead Reckoning just because when I finally delve into suspense (which isn't often!) I do enjoy a good espionage story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of them. lol. My suggestion, since you want to write romantic suspense, is to read as much as you can in that genre. The reason being is you'll get a good feel for how these books flow, which ones make you HAVE to turn the page and then analyze what that author did to make you have to turn the page. This is not only a great opportunity for touting author's books, but learning from those who've gone before you.
    That's my suggestion. Happy Reading!
    (And I know the Queen would wholeheartedly agree with me.) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion, Anne. I've heard so much about Ronie Kendig!

    Jackie, your advice is well taken! Spending the weekend revising, I think your dead right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read Dr. Mabry's book and Sandra D. Bricker.

    Dead Reckoning sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loree,
    Have wanted to read Always the Baker, but couldn't buy any more books until I completed what I had. (Self-imposed goal.) Then I won her new book last week. Well, I have to read the first one first! :)

    (At least that's what I'm telling myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read any of Julie Cave's books? She blogs at http://juliecave.nlpgblogs.com/ and writes Christian fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dead Reckoning sounds very intriguing. I'd like to know whether the plot is as sophisticated as the blurb states.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reading things about Julie Cave, David. Which one do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I've read of Ronie Kendig I have really enjoyed. Hidden in Plain Sight was...just okay. Worth a read if you're looking at Love Inspired Suspense.
    I signed up for Netgalley - you request ARC's by searching by publisher. That's where I get my books to review, then post them on my blog
    Www.nataliagortova.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...